What is the Tautology in the Given Logical Equivalence?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
Lancelot1
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Hi guys

I can't figure this one out. I tried to use truth tables, but never found an equivalence , no matter which of the 5 options I tried.

It is given that $\alpha$ is logically equivalent to $\alpha \rightarrow \sim \beta $ .
Which of the following is a tautology ?

1) $\alpha$
2) $\beta$
3) $\alpha \wedge \beta $
4) $\beta \vee \sim\alpha $
5) $\alpha \leftrightarrow \beta $
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. None of these is a tautology.
((3) is a contradiction- it is always false.)
 
Lancelot said:
It is given that α\alpha is logically equivalent to $\alpha \rightarrow {\sim}\beta$.
I would say the problem with this exercise is that it is not clear what type of object $\alpha$ is. Is it a truth value? Then the question whether $\alpha$ is a tautology does not make sense. Is it a Boolean formula? Then it cannot be logically equivalent to $\alpha \rightarrow {\sim}\beta$. Indeed, if $\beta=1$, then $\alpha$ has to have the same value as ${\sim}\alpha$.