Difficulty understanding a logical equivalence

This means that if it is cold and snow falls on a specific day, then if it is cold, snow must fall.In summary, the equivalence \exists{x}(P(x)\Rightarrow{Q(x)})\equiv{\forall{x}P(x)\Rightarrow{\exists{x}Q(x)}} can be derived using the standard equivalences of symbolic logic. However, when applied to an example, it may be difficult to see why these two expressions are equivalent. The example of cold days and snowy days demonstrates that if it is cold every day and there is at least one snowy day, there must be a day where if it is cold, then snow must fall. This can be represented as \exists{x}(P(x)\Rightarrow{Q(x)})
zelmac
[itex]\exists{x}(P(x)\Rightarrow{Q(x)})\equiv{\forall{x}P(x)\Rightarrow{\exists{x}Q(x)}}[/itex]

I am able to derive this equivalence by using the standard equivalences of symbolic logic, but when I try to verify this semantically, with an example, I just can't see why these two expressions are equivalent.

Example:
Lets say that x represents days, P(x) represents it's cold on day x, and Q(x) represents it is snowing on day x. If it is true that it is cold every day, and it is true that there is a snowy day, why must it be true that there is a day when, if it is cold, than snow MUST fall?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it is cold every day, and there is at least one snowy day, this snowy day has to be cold. Therefore, there is a day (∃) where it is cold and snow falls.

You concluded:
[itex]\exists{x}(P(x)\wedge{Q(x)})[/itex]
and I'm wondering how do you get to:
[itex]\exists{x}(P(x)\Rightarrow{Q(x)})[/itex]

If P(x) ∧ Q(x) is true for this x, then P(x) => Q(x).

I understand your confusion with this logical equivalence. It can be difficult to grasp at first, but let me try to explain it in a different way.

Think of it like this: if P(x) implies Q(x) for all values of x, then it must also be true that if P(x) is true for all values of x, then Q(x) must be true for at least one value of x.

In your example, if it is cold every day (P(x) is true for all values of x), then it must also be true that there is at least one day where if it is cold, then it must snow (Q(x) is true for at least one value of x).

This can be seen as a chain of implications. If P(x) implies Q(x) for all values of x, then we can say that for any specific value of x, if P(x) is true, then Q(x) must also be true. And if P(x) is true for all values of x, then this must hold true for at least one value of x.

I hope this helps clarify the logical equivalence for you. It can be challenging to understand at first, but with practice and examples, it will become clearer.

1. What is logical equivalence?

Logical equivalence is a relationship between two statements where they have the same truth value in all possible cases. This means that if one statement is true, the other must also be true, and if one statement is false, the other must also be false.

2. How do I determine if two statements are logically equivalent?

To determine if two statements are logically equivalent, you can use a truth table. In a truth table, the two statements are listed in separate columns, and all possible combinations of truth values for the individual components of the statements are listed. If the truth values for the two statements are the same in every row, then they are logically equivalent.

3. Why is understanding logical equivalence important in science?

In science, logical equivalence helps researchers to identify relationships between different theories or statements. It also allows for simplification and condensing of complex statements, making them easier to analyze and understand.

4. Can two statements be logically equivalent even though they use different vocabulary?

Yes, two statements can be logically equivalent even if they use different vocabulary. As long as the statements have the same truth values in all possible cases, they are considered logically equivalent.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about logical equivalence?

One common misconception about logical equivalence is that it means two statements are exactly the same. However, logical equivalence only means that the two statements have the same truth value in all possible cases, not that they are identical in every way.