Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the tension in the cord connecting the two blocks at this instant?

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The coefficient of static friction between block A and a horizontal floor is 0.45 and the coefficient of static friction between block B and the floor is 0.30. The mass of each block is 2.0 kg and they are connected together by a cord.

What is the tension in the cord connecting the two blocks at this instant?
    Answer: N

2. Relevant equations and 3. The attempt at a solution

as the friction force on the block A is 8.82 N, for just to move it the force is 8.82 N and this is applied by the cord only. Hence the tension in the cord is 8.82 N

T = 0.45 * 9.8 * 2 = 8.82 N => INCORRECT. Why??? Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi huybinhs! :smile:

At what instant? You haven't said what is happening to the blocks. :confused:

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    Part a for this problem is "If a horizontal force F pulling on block B is slowly increased until it is barely enough to make the two blocks start moving, what is the magnitude of F at the instant they start to slide?"

I already figured it out that the answer is 15.092 N.

I dont know how to do part 2. Please help!

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ahhh! :rolleyes:

ok then, the acceleration of the second block is zero, so just balance the forces on the second block. :smile:

(or the first block … same result … just takes a bit longer :wink:)

6. Feb 24, 2010 #5
    Ok. Thanks! My answer is CORRECT, my instructor just fixed it. Thanks anyway ;)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook