1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the tension in the cord connecting the two blocks at this instant?

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The coefficient of static friction between block A and a horizontal floor is 0.45 and the coefficient of static friction between block B and the floor is 0.30. The mass of each block is 2.0 kg and they are connected together by a cord.

What is the tension in the cord connecting the two blocks at this instant?
    Answer: N

2. Relevant equations and 3. The attempt at a solution

as the friction force on the block A is 8.82 N, for just to move it the force is 8.82 N and this is applied by the cord only. Hence the tension in the cord is 8.82 N

T = 0.45 * 9.8 * 2 = 8.82 N => INCORRECT. Why??? Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi huybinhs! :smile:

At what instant? You haven't said what is happening to the blocks. :confused:

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    Part a for this problem is "If a horizontal force F pulling on block B is slowly increased until it is barely enough to make the two blocks start moving, what is the magnitude of F at the instant they start to slide?"

I already figured it out that the answer is 15.092 N.

I dont know how to do part 2. Please help!

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ahhh! :rolleyes:

ok then, the acceleration of the second block is zero, so just balance the forces on the second block. :smile:

(or the first block … same result … just takes a bit longer :wink:)

6. Feb 24, 2010 #5
    Ok. Thanks! My answer is CORRECT, my instructor just fixed it. Thanks anyway ;)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook