What is the Terminal Velocity of a Skydiver with Given Parameters?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
newbe318
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I attached a screen shot of the problem.
Screen Shot 2015-10-14 at 9.40.16 PM.png


Homework Equations


D= 1/2 C p A v^2
bv=mg

The Attempt at a Solution


I spent 3 long hours on this problem. I confused myself even more. Please help me understand what is going on.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that at terminal velocity, bv=mg ... so, mg=1/2CpAv^2.. would I just solve for v? .. v=sqrt((2mg)/(CpA))... v=1.38m/s ?
m: 84kg
C: 0.8
p: 1.2kgm^3
A: 987cm^2
 
newbe318 said:
I know that at terminal velocity, bv=mg ... so, mg=1/2CpAv^2.. would I just solve for v? .. v=sqrt((2mg)/(CpA))... v=1.38m/s ?
m: 84kg
C: 0.8
p: 1.2kgm^3
A: 987cm^2
That's the right approach, but I don't understand how you get such a small velocity. Did you forget to convert the area to m2?