Air Resistance (Drag Force) and Terminal Velocity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Apothem
Messages
38
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



"How does air resistance affect terminal velocity"


Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I know most of the answer of this, however I am just wondering say take a parachutist for example, if the air resistance is the resultant force, then in order to reach terminal velocity the parachutist would have to decelerate until the air resistance=weight and hence terminal velocity is achieved, is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Apothem said:

Homework Statement



"How does air resistance affect terminal velocity"


Homework Equations



N/A

The Attempt at a Solution



I know most of the answer of this, however I am just wondering say take a parachutist for example, if the air resistance is the resultant force, then in order to reach terminal velocity the parachutist would have to decelerate until the air resistance=weight and hence terminal velocity is achieved, is this correct?

Yes.
 
Almost right, the air resistance isn't the resultant force. The resultant force is the air resistance + the weight. When the air resistance is equal to the weight, the resultant force is zero and so there is no acceleration.