What is the thickness of the copper layer on a constantan wire?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
mysqlpress
Messages
83
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Here's the problem.
The resistance of a piece of constantan wire of radius 0.6mm is reduced to 1/3 its original resistance when a unifrom layer of copper is deposited on it. Find the thickness of the layer of copper
(Resistivity of constantan = 49*10^-8 ohm m
resistivity of copper =1.7*10^-8 ohm m

Homework Equations



I do think that it is related to
R =pl/A where p is the resistivity , l = length of wire
A = cross-section area

The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried ... but don't know how to work out
...
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Doc Al said:
Hint: The two layers are in parallel.

Yup.. and
Should I treated the cross-section area of copper as ( cross-section area of a big wire - cs a of a small wire) ? Since it is deposited .. I think on the surface of the constantan..covered it out...
 
mysqlpress said:
Should I treated the cross-section area of copper as ( cross-section area of a big wire - cs a of a small wire) ?
Sure.
 
Doc Al said:
Sure.

Okay, Thanks for your guide~~ :)