What is the uncertainty in its mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the uncertainty in the mass of a free neutron with a mean life of 900 seconds using the principles of quantum mechanics and Einstein's mass-energy equivalence. The formula for the uncertainty is mentioned, as well as a hint to use the modified Planck constant. The conversation also includes a clarification on the units of uncertainty in mass.
jrd007
This is a really simple problem, but I cannot seem to find the equation. Any help? Thank you.

1) A free neutron has a mean life of 900 s. What is the uncertainty in its mass?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hints: for exponential-decay processes, the uncertainty in the lifetime, [itex]\Delta t[/itex], equals the mean lifetime. Also, remember Einstein's mass-energy equivalence.

Okay... still do not see an equation. It is from our chapter on Quantum Mechanic of Atoms.

HINT: Heisenberg's uncertainty principle

Yes, that would be:

(delta p)(delta x) > h or (energy)(time) > h...

So how does that help?

All I know is a time = 900 s.

So am I solving for energy? e =(1.06 x 10^-34 J)/(900 s) = 1.2 x 10^-37 J

? ? ?

The full expression is;

[tex]\Delta E \Delta t \geq \frac{h}{4\pi}[/tex]

And jtbell gave you a bit hint

jtbell said:
Also, remember Einstein's mass-energy equivalence

~H

So I did it incorrectly? I am getting a bit confused...

Yes I know E = mc^2, but I still lost as to how to solve for uncertainty...

Delta E is the uncertainty in energy of the neutron, you need to solve for delta E then convert this into mass using E = mc2.

~H

Btw, my book doe snot use 4 pie.

So I solve for E by : E = h/900 s = =1.06 x 10^-34 J/900 s? = 1.2 x 10^-37 J

Then I use E = mc^2
1.2 x 10^-37 J = m(3.0 x 10^8)^2
m = 1.54 x 10^-54 m

Is that correct! =)

Your text uses a modified plank constant ( I think it is correct, I haven't checked it). Your working is right, but be careful, you are inducing rounding errors in you calculations. Also check your units of uncertainty in mass.

~H

Opps. I mean kg! :-S

1. What does "uncertainty in mass" mean?

The uncertainty in mass refers to the range of possible values that a measurement of an object's mass could have, taking into account the limitations of the measuring instrument and the potential for human error.

2. Why is it important to know the uncertainty in an object's mass?

Knowing the uncertainty in an object's mass is important because it provides information on the accuracy and precision of the measurement. It allows for a better understanding of the reliability of the data and the potential impact of any errors on the overall results.

3. How is uncertainty in mass calculated?

Uncertainty in mass is typically calculated using statistical methods, such as standard deviation or confidence intervals. These methods take into account the variability and potential sources of error in the measurement process.

4. Can the uncertainty in mass ever be completely eliminated?

No, it is impossible to completely eliminate uncertainty in mass. No measurement is ever 100% accurate, and there will always be some degree of uncertainty due to limitations in measurement tools and human error.

5. How does uncertainty in mass affect scientific research and experiments?

The uncertainty in mass can have a significant impact on the results and conclusions of scientific research and experiments. It is important for scientists to understand and properly account for uncertainty in their measurements to ensure the validity and reliability of their findings.