What is the unit of angular velocity for a moving child on a merry-go-round?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ciao_potter
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Helplate is Shown
The unit of angular momentum is kg * m^2 / s (or I * W). The moment of inertia for a point mass, mr^2's unit is kgm^2. That means the unit of W has to be 1/s. I'm having trouble converting this to radian/s.

Thank you!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ciao_potter said:
653.4 kgm^2 = I * W = mr^2 * W
Has the child stopped moving?
ciao_potter said:
That means the unit of W has to be 1/s. I'm having trouble converting this to radian/s
It is already rad/s.
Radians and degrees are a bit strange in that they have units but, conventionally, not dimension.
As it happens, I wrote an article on this: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/can-angles-assigned-dimension/
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ciao_potter
Since the child moves with the merry-go-round, we have to consider a separate moment of inertia for Lindsey, right?
 
ciao_potter said:
Since the child moves with the merry-go-round, we have to consider a separate moment of inertia for Lindsey, right?
Yes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ciao_potter