Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the unruh-dewitt detector?

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    Dear everybody, this is my first post :biggrin:, I need help here

can anyone tell me what exactly is the unruh-dewitt detector?

I really interest on this effect (unruh), so lately I read many paper about it, but I really struck in what exactly Unruh dewitt detector.

Thx for helping me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Unruh-DeWitt detector is a simplified model of a real particle detector. Its basic property is the fact that it is linearly coupled to the field, so that it can detect one-particle states. Indeed, as long as the detector moves inertially in Minkowski spacetime, it really does react to one-particle states and not to the 0-particle state (vacuum). However, when it moves non-inertially, it may react even in the vacuum. The energy needed for the reaction in the vacuum comes from the agency that accelerates the detector (not from the vacuum energy).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  4. Apr 21, 2012 #3
    if i could say, does roughly speaking, Unruh-Dewitt detector is a theoretical detector which is move together (attach) with particle so it can detect everything happen with a particle?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook