What is the Variational Principle for Estimating Energy of First Excited State?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
bmb2009
Messages
89
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A particle of mass m is in a potential of V(x) = Kx4 and the wave function is given as ψ(x)= e^-(ax2) use the variational principle to estimate the ground state energy.

Part B:
The true ground state energy wave function for this potential is a symmetric function of x i.e. ψ0(x)=ψ0(-x). Use the result that <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 along with an approximately chosen wave function, to estimate the energy of the first excited state.



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Ok so I know how to compute variational method approximations and I have proven the identity <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 earlier on my assignment and understand the identity as well. What I don't understand is the part that says "Use the result that <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 along with an approximately chosen wave function, to estimate the energy of the first excited state."

Again I know that when <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 the variational principle becomes E1≤ <ψlHlψ>/<ψlψ> but does the problem want me to chose a different wavefunction? And if so how to I go about choosing this new wave-function?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The point is to pick a wavefunction which is orthogonal to your first
and use that as a trial to read the first excited energy [again variationally].
The clue is telling you to look at the parity, an even wf. is orthogonal to an odd wf,
so your trial function should be chosen odd.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person