What is the Wavelength of a 30 keV Electron?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Pyroadept
Messages
82
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Estimate the wavelength of a 30 keV electron.


Homework Equations


p = h/λ
E = hf

The Attempt at a Solution


The electron has 30 keV of mass-energy.
As it is acting as a particle-wave, E = hf, so f = E/h = 30,000x1.6x10^-19/6.3X10^-34 = 7.619x10^18 Hz

Now, v = fλ, so λ = v/f, but this is where I run into a problem, as I'm not told what speed the electron is traveling at - do I assume speed of light, or is there some other way?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Pyroadept said:
Estimate the wavelength of a 30 keV electron.
…
Now, v = fλ, so λ = v/f, but this is where I run into a problem, as I'm not told what speed the electron is traveling at - do I assume speed of light, or is there some other way?

Hi Pyroadept! :smile:

If you can convert the eV into J, and if you know the mass of an electron, then you can calculate the speed from the energy. :wink: