1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the x>0 mean here? standing wave equation find nodes?

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two waves travel in opposite direction form a standing wave of y= 2sin(31.42x)cos(7854t).
    Find the positions of first two nodes with x>0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The question didn't say whether the standing wave starts from node or antinode . The question didn't say how long is x, even I know the wavelength and frequency also don't know how to calculate, how? Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tell me what 'node' means.

4. Jun 12, 2013 #3
    The point that is not moving in standing wave. X=0. Then t= 0 ,then I will get first node, the second node, t=2?

Thanks

5. Jun 12, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, a node is a point where y=0 for all values of t. Try to find the first two value of x that satisfy 2sin(31.42x)=0.

6. Jun 12, 2013 #5
    Yup, y=0, thank you very much

7. Jun 13, 2013 #6
    Then for antinode position is dy/dT= 0 ? The amplitude is maximum for all kind of y.

8. Jun 13, 2013 #7
    The position of the first two antinode s with x< 0. X<0 here mean they want the x value be negative , if I use, dy/dt = 0, then I will get sin34.42x= 0 , how to make x become less than zero here? Please thanks

9. Jun 13, 2013 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Antinode is where the amplitude reaches a maximum as a function of x. To find maxima you want to use calculus and solve dy/dx=0.

10. Jun 13, 2013 #9
    Why I can't use dy/dT=0? Is that because x<0? What does that mean ? please .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted