1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this figure meaning? (Ecology -- Punctuated Equilibrium)

1. Nov 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As I reading this article I conflict with a problem, I never find the meaning of Figure 3(b).
    the paragraph below the figure illustrated it but I couldn't find what it want to say.

every help will be a appreciated.

Miamusr.png
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2015 #2
    Hi Binvestigator:

The figure in your post and the paragraph describing it seem to me to be just as unclear as you found it. I tried to click on the link "this", but it failed to take me to the article. I edited the link address and the following seems to work better:
    This only shows the abstract. Unfortunately, I do not have access to read the article.

You may find the following link of some use. It has a good discussion of the "punctuated equilibrium" concept.

Presumably the figure is intended to be evidence either supporting or refuting this concept. Perhaps the text of the article would clarify this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Buzz

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Nov 4, 2015 #3
    thanks very much dear Buzz, with below link you can have access to the article with sci-hub.org
    http://journals.aps.org.sci-hub.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.71.4083 [Broken]

5. Nov 4, 2015 #4
    Hi Binvestigator:

Unfortunately when I try to access that link, I get a "Server not found" error.

Regards,
    Buzz

6. Nov 4, 2015 #5
    Hi Binvestigator:

My town librarian was able to locate a copy of the article for me. I confess that after reading several pages near the Figure 3 you included in your post #1, I still am unable to understand what the horizontal lines in the figure represent, or what the authors are saying. My apologies. I wish you good luck in the course.

Regards,
    Buzz

7. Nov 7, 2015 #6
    Thanks very much for your trying Dear Buzz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted