Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is this musical instrument?

1. Feb 27, 2010 #1
    This instrument starts at about 0:13

Marie Osmond singing "Paper Roses"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3fqJkTeDNU

I hear it a lot in country music and it drives me nuts. Of all the sounds in the world, this is the one that makes me want to pull my head off.

My mom said it's a steel guitar. But I've seen some videos of those and there's a similar sound but not so disturbing to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's a steel guitar. That's the typical whiney sound in country music.

4. Feb 27, 2010 #3
    Ah. Thank you for verifying that for me.

5. Feb 27, 2010 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Steel guitars can be beautiful. They are originally called Hawaiian guitars, but I think that's because Hawaiian music was the first popular music that used them.

6. Feb 27, 2010 #5

turbo

Gold Member

Hawaiians played acoustic guitars laid across their laps. The guitars were tuned to open chords, and the "fretting" was done by slides that allowed chords and individual notes to be slid up and down easily. Even before companies started electrifying Spanish guitars, they had built lap-steels on planks of wood with electromagnetic pickups. Often the lap-steels came with matching amplifiers, some of which are still highly sought-after. Often the guitar and amp was covered in what collectors call "mother of toilet-seat" resins that lent a flashy finish to both. As country music embraced the lap steel, instrument makers put the steel guitar on legs to bring the guitar to a comfortable height for a seated player, and often incorporated a second neck on the same body so the player would have access to a second open chord structure. It wasn't too long after that they added foot-pedals and knee-levers so that the player could alter the structure of the open chord during songs. This is the "pedal-steel" heard in the OP and on every George Jones record ever released.

7. Feb 27, 2010 #6

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

^^
    I think Turbo's just making things up!

:smirk:

I keep forgetting about this interwebs thing. I could have just looked it up in the Wicker Patio.

8. Feb 27, 2010 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Yep! It's all a lie.

BTW, if you know any old codger with a 40's-era lap steel and matching amp with pearloid resin finish, please give me their name and number.

9. Feb 27, 2010 #8

turbo

Gold Member

BTW, black musicians were using very similar techniques playing blues, and still do. Slide guitar was very prominent in Elmore James' repertoire, and lots of that carried over into Duane Allman's work, Johnny Winter, Bonnie Raitt, and many others. Lots of earlier blues musicians became well-known for their tunings and styles and some managed to create some very distinctive sounds. Some old blues-boys used the back of a pocket-knife as a slide, some used beer bottles or the smoothed neck of a wine-bottle, others used a cut-off piece of pipe...Lowell George of Little Feet used a socket from the Sears store.

10. Feb 27, 2010 #9
    George Jones. Yup. Just watched one of his vids. I guess I know what will happen to me if I go to hell.

That sound is worse for me than fingernails on a chalkboard. I'm not kidding. When I was last at a wedding reception, the band started a song with that and I was out the door!

11. Feb 27, 2010 #10

turbo

Gold Member

You have to be a recent immigrant or a visiting student! The idea that a Maine resident has to ask about pedal steel guitar is shocking.

12. Feb 27, 2010 #11
    Meh. Born and raised in Maine, moved to other states, recently back to Maine. Too many country folk, but not bad.

13. Feb 27, 2010 #12

turbo

Gold Member

Wow! I'm an old codger, but I grew up with pedal-steel-flavored country music on both local TV and radio. I bought and sold guitars and amps all through college to help pay my way, so I had to figure out pretty fast where the profit was. I wasn't perfect, by any measure. I once traded a refinished '59 Strat for a new late-sixties Les Paul Custom and $300. Stupid is as stupid does.

14. Feb 28, 2010 #13

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a great topic title. But the first one (lap pedal steel) was a kinda easy.
    How about some more instruments we might guess?
    And to make it a little easier, how about samples of some of the lesser known instruments
    from around the world.

I'm also not particularly fond of the pedal steel sound.
    So Newai, I know where you're coming from.

But, by the same token, I do enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7oPHLzEc3Q" guitar.
    They add another dimension of emotional expression to the music, as does the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QGKlZLgz3w"
    (sample is a pretty version of Ashokan).

Let me start the world instruments with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1YMjLwExE" (anyone know what instrument the lady is playing?)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  15. Feb 28, 2010 #14
    :confused:

This wasn't meant to be a game. But feel free if you want to go that direction.

16. Feb 28, 2010 #15

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks! You picked out such a great topic title,
    I bet we can learn about some very fascinating instruments.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  17. Feb 28, 2010 #16

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  18. Mar 1, 2010 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

nharo3.jpg

Thumb piano

necessity, ingenuity, and poverty

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook