What to use for graphing sounds of instruments

In summary: You might also want to consider an audio spectrum analyzer. I don't remember if Audacity has one, but a quick search might find some free candidates.
330s
Hello,

For my physics EEI I am wanting to look at sound frequencies. What I plan to do is to get a guitar and play a note, let's say a "c natural". Then I want to play a "c sharp" and then compare the two notes. I want to be able to find the amount "beats" over a duration of say 1-2 seconds and then compare to something that is more pleasant sounding. ie. a "c" and a "g" . And find how many beats there are over 1-2 seconds. I want to find if more beats are better or less beats.

Now my problem is that I have a program, Datastudio which can pick up me playing my instrument through my computers microphone. However I can not figure how to use the program or if there is a program function that allows me to go | F2 - F1 | = Fb F being frequency, 2 and 1 being different notes of different frequencies.

Any other programs out there that can do what I am requiring please tell me about. But if there is a way to work Datastudio please help, I can't work it out.

Thanks, Will

Computer science news on Phys.org
You don't need any thing but a calculator and this chart:
http://www.seventhstring.com/resources/notefrequencies.html
just subtract the frequencies of the two notes ... it's not so much the number of beats but the integer ratios. Also, the western tempered scale fudges all the notes such that they don't quite match up anyway, compare it with "Just Intonation".

But you may be interested in an audio spectrum analyzer. I don't remember if Audacity has one, but a quick search might find some free candidates.

330s said:
Hello,

For my physics EEI I am wanting to look at sound frequencies. What I plan to do is to get a guitar and play a note, let's say a "c natural". Then I want to play a "c sharp" and then compare the two notes. I want to be able to find the amount "beats" over a duration of say 1-2 seconds and then compare to something that is more pleasant sounding. ie. a "c" and a "g" . And find how many beats there are over 1-2 seconds. I want to find if more beats are better or less beats.

Now my problem is that I have a program, Datastudio which can pick up me playing my instrument through my computers microphone. However I can not figure how to use the program or if there is a program function that allows me to go | F2 - F1 | = Fb F being frequency, 2 and 1 being different notes of different frequencies.

Any other programs out there that can do what I am requiring please tell me about. But if there is a way to work Datastudio please help, I can't work it out.

Thanks, Will
Assuming that Data Studio records the waveform of the sound and stores it as a data run (which is probably what it does), you can use the calculator dialog to define a calculated value which is the difference between your two recorded sound waves. The Calculator button is up at the top, toward the center of the toolbar, if I remember correctly.

Hello Will,

Thank you for your interest in exploring sound frequencies for your physics EEI. Graphing sound frequencies can be a useful tool in understanding the differences between different notes and their beats. One program that may be helpful for your project is Audacity, which is a free and open-source audio editing software. It has a feature called "Plot Spectrum" which allows you to graph the frequencies of a sound recording. You can also use the "Beat Finder" plug-in to identify the beats between two notes. Another option is to use a digital sound analyzer, such as the Sound Frequency Analyzer app, which can display the frequency spectrum of a sound recording in real-time. Whichever program you choose, make sure to properly calibrate your microphone and set up your recording environment for accurate results. I wish you all the best in your project!

1. What software should I use for graphing sounds of instruments?

There are many different software programs available for graphing sounds of instruments, so the best one to use will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include Audacity, Sonic Visualizer, and Praat. It's important to do some research and try out different programs to determine which one works best for you.

2. Can I use any microphone for graphing instrument sounds?

While you can technically use any microphone for graphing instrument sounds, it's important to keep in mind that the quality of the microphone will greatly affect the accuracy and clarity of the resulting graph. It's best to use a high-quality microphone specifically designed for recording music or instrument sounds for the most accurate results.

3. What is the best method for graphing instrument sounds?

The best method for graphing instrument sounds will depend on the specific instrument and the type of data you are trying to capture. Some common methods include using a spectrogram to visualize the frequency and amplitude of the sound, or using a waveform to display the overall shape and intensity of the sound. It's important to consider your research goals and choose the method that best suits your needs.

4. How can I ensure accurate and consistent results when graphing instrument sounds?

To ensure accurate and consistent results when graphing instrument sounds, it's important to use standardized methods and equipment, such as using the same microphone and settings for each recording. It's also helpful to use multiple recordings for each instrument to account for any variations in sound. Additionally, it's important to carefully analyze and interpret the resulting graphs to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to graph instrument sounds?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning how to graph instrument sounds. Some universities offer courses or workshops on sound analysis, and there are also online tutorials and guides available. It's also helpful to consult with experienced researchers or colleagues in the field for tips and advice on graphing instrument sounds.