What is undergraduate math like beyond the calculus sequence?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experiences with math in college, including struggling with certain classes and eventually excelling in them with hard work. They also discuss the difference between computational math and proof-based math, with some participants enjoying doing proofs while others find it more challenging. The conversation also briefly touches on the subjects that are typically covered in upper-level math courses at the undergraduate and graduate level.
Pascal's Pal
I currently attend a community college.

For several semesters I did poorly--failed one class and dropped out of a fair amount, but then I turned things around and consistently received decent grades. The track I am currently on is "Business Administration"--in short, I plan to study accounting, but I kind of don't want to go to college to merely learn a trade, so I want to supplement my job training with the acquisition of knowledge of eternal value. Math seems to fit this description.

When I was dropping classes, one class I dropped several times was Pre Calc with Trig. As much as I tried it seemed that I simply couldn't get the material. I guess the placement test was wrong or I wasn't trying hard enough. Anyway, for one semester I avoided it and simply got an intermdiate algebra textbook from my library and worked it cover to cover. I tried the course again and got an A, and afterwards I took Calc 1 and 2 and got As in them too. Currently I'm enrolled in linear algebra, and all the other math courses my community college offers (Calc 3, Diff Q) seem doable. In short, I'm sort of on a roll, but what is math like beyond the calculus sequence and is it doable for someone with mere average math smarts?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm going to state this. Doing well in math has little do with natural ability but more to do with work. My example is a friend of mine who is absolutely brilliant in mathematics. He ended up failing Calc II with a 44. He did little work and it showed in his grade and in his understanding. He later retook the course and ended up with an A but only after he did all his work and went to class!

So Calc III and Diff Q are more than doable for someone like yourself (hey, I managed!).

As for the question presented in the title, the math because more complicated per se. It is less computational and more theoretical. As my professor told me in my first proof writing class, "Congratulations, you have moved passed engineering type math and into real math!"

Upper level math will require you to think harder than you had to before, remember a lot more, and understand basic logic. It takes a lot of hard work, but if you are willing to spend the time, you can do it.

proof based math is very little like the math you've been doing. in each section of problem in your calc book look for the ones that start with "prove that..." do a couple, if you enjoy it then you might enjoy pure math. personally i like reading proofs but hate doing em

the appendix of your calculus book may cover a few of the proof techniques, such as induction, contradiction, contrapositive, etc. There should be example problems that use these techniques. Then, you can try to do problmes that involve proofs. Only problem is that the book doesn't give the answer for proof problems

ice109 said:
proof based math is very little like the math you've been doing. in each section of problem in your calc book look for the ones that start with "prove that..." do a couple, if you enjoy it then you might enjoy pure math. personally i like reading proofs but hate doing em

I'm actually just the opposite, i like doing proofs but it takes a lot out of me to read some one else's.

mathis314 said:
I'm actually just the opposite, i like doing proofs but it takes a lot out of me to read some one else's.

I agree. While doing a proof you can at least understand where you are coming from, while reading a proof by someone else, it takes a lot more effort to understand all the steps. At least for me. I used to hate reading proofs presented in my Calc book, because, at the time, I couldn't figure out how the writer was clever enough to prove the statements. Now, I understand more, but with my current level of math, I still feel, "how did this guy do it!?" Oh well, :D

undrgrad:

calc - diff eq - linear alg - sev vbls calc - series and sequences - proofs and logic - analysis (metric spaces) - groups, rings, fields - topology -

grad:
infinite diml linear alg (banach space) - measure theory - algebraic topology - homological algebra - dif geom/manifolds - alg geom, curves surfaces, abeian varieties, moduli - group reps - quantum groups - numerical analysis -------

1. What topics are typically covered in undergraduate math beyond the calculus sequence?

Undergraduate math beyond the calculus sequence covers a wide range of topics, such as linear algebra, differential equations, discrete mathematics, abstract algebra, real analysis, and complex analysis. Other topics may include graph theory, number theory, and statistics.

2. Is undergraduate math beyond the calculus sequence more difficult than calculus?

This can vary from person to person, but in general, undergraduate math beyond the calculus sequence can be more challenging because it requires a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them to more complex problems. However, with dedication and practice, it can be just as manageable as calculus.

3. How is the teaching style different in undergraduate math beyond the calculus sequence?

The teaching style in undergraduate math beyond the calculus sequence may differ from the traditional lecture-based approach used in calculus. In these courses, there may be more emphasis on problem-solving and critical thinking, with less emphasis on memorization. Additionally, there may be more group work and projects, providing a more interactive learning experience.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking undergraduate math beyond the calculus sequence?

Typically, students are expected to have a strong foundation in calculus and may also need to have completed courses in linear algebra and/or differential equations. It is also important to have a solid understanding of basic algebra, trigonometry, and geometry.

5. Can I still major in math if I struggle with the calculus sequence?

Yes, it is possible to major in math even if you struggle with the calculus sequence. While calculus is an important foundation, there are many other areas of mathematics to explore that may better suit your strengths and interests. It is important to speak with an academic advisor to determine the best path for you.