Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is vector-like matter?

1. May 25, 2010 #1
    What is "vector-like" matter?

Hi,
    can someone please tell me what vector-like matter is?
    Best,
    meha

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2010 #2

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Re: What is "vector-like" matter?

can you tell us where you found the term "vector-like matter"?

4. May 25, 2010 #3

Sure, one place I encountered it is here:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1001.1129

5. May 26, 2010 #4

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Unfortunately they do not write down the kinetic part of the Lagrangian.

I suspected that it has something to do with spin, but w/o the Lagrangian it's hard to tell. In addition they talk about a scalar superpartner, but the superpartner to a spin-1object is not spin-0.

6. May 26, 2010 #5

It looks like they're using the term to imply that the new (fermionic) matter has vector-like couplings to all standard model gauge fields. This is to be contrasted with ordinary standard model fermions, which have chiral SU(2)xU(1) couplings.

7. May 26, 2010 #6

Thanks. According to the reference hep-th/9903387 vector-like is used synonymously with non-chiral. Which means that left and right components transform differently under SU(2) x U(1). But what if these groups are not present? What would be the distinction between chiral and non-chiral matter for SU(5) or SO(10)?

8. May 27, 2010 #7

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Just to make sure: "chiral" means that there is a gamma matrix projector in the Dirac kinetic term, whereas "vector" means it looks like in QED w/o such a projector?

9. May 29, 2010 #8

Thanks for all your thoughts.

10. May 29, 2010 #9

arivero

Gold Member

Probabli the best translation is tom's "like in QED".

Historically, the problem of GUT models has been to avoid vector-like interactions. Actually, vector-like *matter* is a misnomer; it refers to *interactions*

11. May 29, 2010 #10

Now I am confused. In susy theories there are chiral superfields as well as vector superfields, completely independent of interactions. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersymmetric_gauge_theory). Chiral fields are defined by [tex]\bar{D} \Phi=0[/tex]. Vector fields one the other hand are identical to their hermitian adjoints [tex]V = V^{\dagger}[/tex]. Am I intermingling different concepts here?

12. May 30, 2010 #11

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Yes, the concepts are different and the name vector-like matter is misleading.

As far as we understand the paper the situation is as follows: one uses spinors (!) to construct either bilinear vectors (like the el.-mag. current from the fermion field) or bilinear axial vector (like the left-handed neutrino current in el.-weak theory). The currents are coupled to other fields, in these examples the photon field or the Z- and W-field.

If the current is a vector, the matter is called vector-like even if the matter field itself is a spinor. (this is my interpretation of the discussion)

13. May 30, 2010 #12

Strictly, the neutrino current is left chiral, not axial. A left chiral current is vector minus axial vector (or V-A); and a right chiral current is V+A.

14. May 30, 2010 #13

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

You are right.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook