Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is wrong with the following proof

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1
    What is wrong with the following "proof"

My friend was messing around and sent me something that leads to an incorrect conclusion:

e^iπ = -1
    (e^iπ)^2 = (-1)^2
    e^2iπ = 1
    ln(e^2iπ) = ln1
    2iπ * lne = ln1
    2iπ * 1 = 0
    2iπ = 0

After refreshing my memory with some of the most important theorems involving complex numbers, I'm still trying to find wrong step. My first qualm deals with lines 1-3. He puts his faith behind simple algebra, but I think it's just a coincidence. Line 1 and line 3 hold because of Euler's formula, which involves trig. Therefore, I believe that squaring to get 1 is a coincidence but then again according to the rules of algebra that should be valid?

Then the natural log part. I think that ln(e^2iπ) = ln[cos(2π) + i*sin(2π)] is undefined. But then my friend points out the obvious fact that the i*sin(2π) term vanishes, leaving ln(1), which of course is 0. I don't know too much about complex numbers, so any opinions on this discussion would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2008 #2
    Re: What is wrong with the following "proof"

While ln(e^2iπ) = ln1 is true, 2iπ = ln 1 is not. The natural logarithm of e^theta*i is defined as sigma*i where sigma is the corresponding angle lesser than 2pi. Therefore ln(e^2iπ) = 0*i and not 2iπ.

4. Jul 7, 2008 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Strictly speaking the ln function is multivalued.

e2n(pi)i=1 for any n. Therefore ln(1)=2n(pi)i, for all n.

5. Jul 7, 2008 #4

The only problem is the top 2 lines. e^(ix) is not invertible. The single valued ln function is not its inverse.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?