1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Domain of single-valued logarithm of complex number z

1. Nov 28, 2016 #1

goodphy

Gold Member

Hello.

Let's have any non-zero complex number z = re (r > 0) and natural log ln applies to z.

ln(z) = ln(r) + iθ. In fact, there is an infinite number of values of θ satistying z = re such as θ = Θ + 2πn where n is any integer and Θ is the value of θ satisfying z = re in a domain of -π < Θ < π. So, ln(z) can be written as ln(z) = ln(r) + i(Θ + 2πn).

ln(z)
    is multiple-valued function as each Θ + 2πn with different n results in different ln(z), although Θ + 2πn are essentially same angle between radial line from the origin to z and the positive real axis in the complex plane (in other word, Θ + 2πn indicates same z).

In order to make single-valued and continuous function, the domain of θ needs to be restricted somehow. The textbook of complex analysis says a way to restrict domain of the multiple-valued function ln(z) to make the single-valued function F is lik this; F = ln(z) = ln(r) + iθ (α < θ < α + 2π).

My question is why the domain is restricted by (α < θ < α + 2π), instead of (α ≤ θ < α + 2π)? I think later domain also can be used to F. F is continous from θ = α itself to the point infinitesimally close to α + 2π and is single-valued over this domain.

I think tihs is important question for me as I'm trying to understand the concept of the branch cut and branch point for the integral on a contour in the complex plane.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2016 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are correct. You can include one of the end points of the range of θ

4. Dec 4, 2016 #3

goodphy

Gold Member

I see. I was worrying whether the textbook was misprinted. Other mathematical physics book says the domain of the single-valued function is F(z) = ln(z) = ln(r) + iθ is α ≤ θ < α + 2π.

I think my book was misprinted:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted