What is your favourite word in math/science jargon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kaleidoscope
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
24 replies · 8K views
kaleidoscope
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Share curious or funny words from math/science jargon that you like.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
kaleidoscope said:
Share curious or funny words from math/science jargon that you like.
Planck length is pretty good.
 
kaleidoscope said:
Share curious or funny words from math/science jargon that you like.

Praeseodymium.

But only when Carl Sagan says it: (puh-RAAAYYZZZ-e-o-die-me-um).
 
The mho (unit of conductivity).
 
I like the mho too.

And the tilted washboard potential. [PLAIN]http://prac.us.edu.pl/~zft/images/stories/article_images/washboard.png

Also, the Sine-Gordon Equation: [itex]\phi_{xx}-\phi_{tt}=sin \phi[/itex] (a pun on Klein-Gordon: [itex]\phi_{xx}-\phi_{tt}=\mu^2 \phi[/itex])

[URL]http://homepages.tversu.ru/~s000154/collision/4f_s.gif[/URL]

I have mixed feelings about the Alpher-Bethe-Gamow cosmogenesis paper. It's typical of Gamow to get Bethe's name in the paper just for the sake of the pun, but I can understand that it might piss off Ralph Alpher.

I like the sound of Russian names like Bogoliubov and Lyapunov!

In high school, I developed an affinity for the Sanskrit word thathaasthu (translated commonly as 'so be it', but in this specific context it is closer to 'behold!') when I saw it appended to this "proof" of a famous theorem:

[URL]http://dorasexplorations.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/thumbnailcary6t0j.jpg[/URL]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Planck length is pretty good.

That comes up short for me.

jtbell said:
The mho (unit of conductivity).

If we could call the curl of a function, a curly, we would only need a Larry to be complete.

I always liked the sound of "Eigenfunction".

One of my favorite words was "canonical". The first time a professor walked in and started talking about canonical equations, for a few moments I thought he meant "conical", but had been drinking.
 
Supersymmetrical particle names : for bosons, we add "ino" in the end, so the superpartner of the photon is the photino for instance. But for fermions, we add "s" in the beginning, so the superpartner of the electron is the selectron for instance.

If we find a superpartner to the positron, we will have to call it the spositron. No kidding.
 
humanino said:
Supersymmetrical particle names : for bosons, we add "ino" in the end, so the superpartner of the photon is the photino for instance

I change my to "humanino" the super-symmetrical parter for the bosonic human.
 
humanino said:
Supersymmetrical particle names : for bosons, we add "ino" in the end, so the superpartner of the photon is the photino for instance.

And the superpartner of the W is the Wino. :biggrin:
 
The homotopy theory, induced maps, covering spaces, the Seifert-Van Kampen's theorem.
 
The Poynting vector is always a laugh ("Don't all vectors poynt?")
 
Ivan Seeking said:
If we could call the curl of a function, a curly, we would only need a Larry to be complete.

In electrodynamics, we do have curl E.
 
Another one I like is the Airy function. Or, as they call it in France, l'Airy fonction. <hides from the susy bose-man>

So I guess we do have mho, curl E, and l'Airy fonction. :biggrin:
 
I like to use the word 'defenestration' for the act of formatting the hard drive on a PC and installing Linux.
 
Gokul43201 said:
I like to use the word 'defenestration' for the act of formatting the hard drive on a PC and installing Linux.

:smile: I never heard that before. Well-suited considering the actual meaning of the word.
 
Going beyond single words...

I was a graduate student when the b (bottom) quark was discovered. Of course, most physicists expected that there would be a t (top) quark to accompany it, and sure enough it was eventually found. But in the meantime some theorists speculated about how to have a b quark without a t quark. I remember seeing a preprint titled "Topless Bottom Models in E6."
 
Gokul43201 said:
So I guess we do have mho, curl E, and l'Airy fonction. :biggrin:

I don't remember seeing the Stooges doing any fish-slapping, but it's certainly in keeping with their work, so have one on me, in appreciation!
fish2qn4.gif
 
jtbell said:
I don't remember seeing the Stooges doing any fish-slapping, but it's certainly in keeping with their work...
Yeah, you'd think that would be their kind of thing, but apparently they weren't very good with fish.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell said:
In electrodynamics, we do have curl E.

Gokul43201 said:
Another one I like is the Airy function. Or, as they call it in France, l'Airy fonction. <hides from the susy bose-man>

So I guess we do have mho, curl E, and l'Airy fonction. :biggrin:

Bravo! :biggrin:

Curl E should have jumped off the page for me. :redface:
 
"Spaghettification." As in "getting spaghettified." Meaning getting torn asunder by tidal forces such as when falling into a relatively small black hole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghettification"
 
Last edited by a moderator: