What is your favourite word in math/science jargon?

• Thread starter kaleidoscope
  • Start date
In summary, these are some words from math/science jargon that the author likes. Some of these words are curious or funny, while others are terms that the author finds interesting or useful.
kaleidoscope
Share curious or funny words from math/science jargon that you like.

Physics news on Phys.org
kaleidoscope said:
Planck length is pretty good.

kaleidoscope said:

Praeseodymium.

But only when Carl Sagan says it: (puh-RAAAYYZZZ-e-o-die-me-um).

Syzygy

The mho (unit of conductivity).

I like the mho too.

And the tilted washboard potential. [PLAIN]http://prac.us.edu.pl/~zft/images/stories/article_images/washboard.png

Also, the Sine-Gordon Equation: [itex]\phi_{xx}-\phi_{tt}=sin \phi[/itex] (a pun on Klein-Gordon: [itex]\phi_{xx}-\phi_{tt}=\mu^2 \phi[/itex])

[URL]http://homepages.tversu.ru/~s000154/collision/4f_s.gif[/URL]

I have mixed feelings about the Alpher-Bethe-Gamow cosmogenesis paper. It's typical of Gamow to get Bethe's name in the paper just for the sake of the pun, but I can understand that it might piss off Ralph Alpher.

I like the sound of Russian names like Bogoliubov and Lyapunov!

In high school, I developed an affinity for the Sanskrit word thathaasthu (translated commonly as 'so be it', but in this specific context it is closer to 'behold!') when I saw it appended to this "proof" of a famous theorem:

[URL]http://dorasexplorations.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/thumbnailcary6t0j.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Planck length is pretty good.

That comes up short for me.

jtbell said:
The mho (unit of conductivity).

If we could call the curl of a function, a curly, we would only need a Larry to be complete.

I always liked the sound of "Eigenfunction".

One of my favorite words was "canonical". The first time a professor walked in and started talking about canonical equations, for a few moments I thought he meant "conical", but had been drinking.

Supersymmetrical particle names : for bosons, we add "ino" in the end, so the superpartner of the photon is the photino for instance. But for fermions, we add "s" in the beginning, so the superpartner of the electron is the selectron for instance.

If we find a superpartner to the positron, we will have to call it the spositron. No kidding.

humanino said:
Supersymmetrical particle names : for bosons, we add "ino" in the end, so the superpartner of the photon is the photino for instance

I change my to "humanino" the super-symmetrical parter for the bosonic human.

humanino said:
Supersymmetrical particle names : for bosons, we add "ino" in the end, so the superpartner of the photon is the photino for instance.

And the superpartner of the W is the Wino. :biggrin:

The homotopy theory, induced maps, covering spaces, the Seifert-Van Kampen's theorem.

Glueball (the bound state of gluons without quarks)

Just remembered another one I like: jellium.

Flange!

The Poynting vector is always a laugh ("Don't all vectors poynt?")

Ivan Seeking said:
If we could call the curl of a function, a curly, we would only need a Larry to be complete.

In electrodynamics, we do have curl E.

Canthotaxis (contact line pinning) is a good one.

Another one I like is the Airy function. Or, as they call it in France, l'Airy fonction. <hides from the susy bose-man>

So I guess we do have mho, curl E, and l'Airy fonction. :biggrin:

I like to use the word 'defenestration' for the act of formatting the hard drive on a PC and installing Linux.

Gokul43201 said:
I like to use the word 'defenestration' for the act of formatting the hard drive on a PC and installing Linux.

:rofl: I never heard that before. Well-suited considering the actual meaning of the word.

Going beyond single words...

I was a graduate student when the b (bottom) quark was discovered. Of course, most physicists expected that there would be a t (top) quark to accompany it, and sure enough it was eventually found. But in the meantime some theorists speculated about how to have a b quark without a t quark. I remember seeing a preprint titled "Topless Bottom Models in E6."

Gokul43201 said:

I don't remember seeing the Stooges doing any fish-slapping, but it's certainly in keeping with their work, so have one on me, in appreciation!
fish2qn4.gif

jtbell said:
I don't remember seeing the Stooges doing any fish-slapping, but it's certainly in keeping with their work...
Yeah, you'd think that would be their kind of thing, but apparently they weren't very good with fish.

jtbell said:
In electrodynamics, we do have curl E.

Gokul43201 said:
Another one I like is the Airy function. Or, as they call it in France, l'Airy fonction. <hides from the susy bose-man>

Bravo! :biggrin:

Curl E should have jumped off the page for me. :redface:

"Spaghettification." As in "getting spaghettified." Meaning getting torn asunder by tidal forces such as when falling into a relatively small black hole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghettification"

1. What is the meaning of "derivative"?

The derivative is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. It is often used in calculus and is represented as the slope of a tangent line on a graph.

2. What is the significance of "hypothesis" in scientific research?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon, which can then be tested and either supported or rejected through scientific experiments and observations. It is a crucial step in the scientific method and helps guide the direction of research.

3. What is the difference between "accuracy" and "precision"?

Accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true or accepted value, while precision is the level of consistency or reproducibility in a series of measurements. In other words, accuracy measures correctness, while precision measures reliability.

4. What is the concept of "energy" in physics?

Energy can be defined as the ability to do work or cause change. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is conserved in all physical processes. There are many forms of energy, including kinetic, potential, thermal, and electromagnetic energy.

5. Can you explain the concept of "entropy" in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In thermodynamics, it is often described as the degree of energy that is unavailable to do work. It is always increasing in isolated systems, leading to the concept of the "heat death" of the universe.