Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is your most treasured possession

1. Mar 14, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I do not have one as i believe possessions can not be taken with you when you die, but do you have a most treasured possession?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2016 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

My most irreplaceable possession seems to be my distance spectacle frames, which are about 35 years old; they don't make anything like them any more, and I've never found any new frames anywhere near as comfortable (the lenses are large, "aviator" style) so I always get new lenses made for the same frames, but I'm afraid that one day they will break.

4. Mar 14, 2016 #3

Dembadon

Gold Member

Mine is probably the thousands of pictures I have of family, friends, and the special moments they depict.

5. Mar 14, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Well, of course not, but don't you have some possession right now that you value highly?

I don't think good health counts as a possession, but that is something that I am very thankful for, and that I value very highly.

Of my actual possessions, this one is up near the top, my 1948-ish HD Panhead:
    IMG_0717.JPG

6. Mar 14, 2016 #5
    My collection of history books, and math/physics textbooks, as well as my guitars. My first to grab would be my Gibson Les Paul and Martin acoustic.

7. Mar 14, 2016 #6

wolram

Gold Member

No i have nothing of value right now, as for your 1948 Panhead it is a lovely bike, even if i can admire some thing i do not want to own it.

8. Mar 14, 2016 #7
    My most treasured possession is alway, generically, my car. I say "generically" because it's never the specific car I treasure, just the fact that any car allows me to get around so much more conveniently than otherwise.

9. Mar 14, 2016 #8
    After having lost one of my valued possessions, I have come to the philosophical conclusion, it is all just stuff. My most valued treasures are my loved ones.

10. Mar 14, 2016 #9
    My most valuable possession is my new lap top PC with touch screen. The reason why I value it is the same as zooby's.

11. Mar 14, 2016 #10
    Almost everything mine and around me. Their existence completes mine and indicates my possessions of them.
    Once I thought what I had lost would remain as an open wound that time could never have healed. But later I realized I had been severely *possessed* by those materials instead of me being their owner who should have possessed them. It is the worst obsession I've ever had.

12. Mar 15, 2016 #11
    Probably my Fender Stratocaster*:

25175909794_654380610c_n.jpg

* But after one of my dear cats died about a year ago I came to the stark realisation how little inanimate possessions like these actually mean to me. But then again, we are all going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones:
    25176219394_07a8db933a_o.jpg

13. Mar 15, 2016 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Ooo nice guitar i bet that cost an arm and a leg.

14. Mar 15, 2016 #13
    A small collection of artifacts, a few Egyptian from different Dynasties and an Etruscan piece. Though I feel no pride of possession I feel a strong responsibility to preserve. After my wife and the dog they would come first in a fire.

15. Mar 15, 2016 #14

OCR

If they qualify as possessions ... yes, definitely our cats ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :heart:

16. Mar 15, 2016 #15
    I have a musical instrument collection. 27 different musical instruments.
    I can play about a half of them.

17. Mar 15, 2016 #16

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

That would probably be my eyes.

18. Mar 15, 2016 #17
    Isn't that the truth a lot of the time.
    Ones possessions having such a hold on you. You can't get rid of it because of "make up a reason"
    But when its gone, it is soon forgotten.
    The winner is the one with the most junk at the end, as that comedian said.

19. Mar 16, 2016 #18

wolram

Gold Member

Cats are not possessions they own there owner:biggrin:

20. Mar 16, 2016 #19
    Don't really have one. Anything is replaceable. Photos carry memories but these days we get flooded with pictures.

21. Mar 16, 2016 #20

wolram

Gold Member

And if the rest of you complements your eyes then coor.:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted