What is your most treasured possession

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, Zooby's most prized possession is her new lap top PC with touch screen. The reason why she values it is the same as the other person's most prized possession - her loved ones' existence completes hers and indicates her possessions of them.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I do not have one as i believe possessions can not be taken with you when you die, but do you have a most treasured possession?

Physics news on Phys.org
My most irreplaceable possession seems to be my distance spectacle frames, which are about 35 years old; they don't make anything like them any more, and I've never found any new frames anywhere near as comfortable (the lenses are large, "aviator" style) so I always get new lenses made for the same frames, but I'm afraid that one day they will break.

wolram said:
I do not have one as i believe possessions can not be taken with you when you die, but do you have a most treasured possession?
Mine is probably the thousands of pictures I have of family, friends, and the special moments they depict.

wolram said:
I do not have one as i believe possessions can not be taken with you when you die
Well, of course not, but don't you have some possession right now that you value highly?

I don't think good health counts as a possession, but that is something that I am very thankful for, and that I value very highly.

Of my actual possessions, this one is up near the top, my 1948-ish HD Panhead:
IMG_0717.JPG

Likes Drakkith, DennisN and wolram
My collection of history books, and math/physics textbooks, as well as my guitars. My first to grab would be my Gibson Les Paul and Martin acoustic.

Mark44 said:
Well, of course not, but don't you have some possession right now that you value highly?

I don't think good health counts as a possession, but that is something that I am very thankful for, and that I value very highly.

Of my actual possessions, this one is up near the top, my 1948-ish HD Panhead:
View attachment 97339

No i have nothing of value right now, as for your 1948 Panhead it is a lovely bike, even if i can admire some thing i do not want to own it.

Likes xAxis
My most treasured possession is alway, generically, my car. I say "generically" because it's never the specific car I treasure, just the fact that any car allows me to get around so much more conveniently than otherwise.

After having lost one of my valued possessions, I have come to the philosophical conclusion, it is all just stuff. My most valued treasures are my loved ones.

My most valuable possession is my new lap top PC with touch screen. The reason why I value it is the same as zooby's.

Almost everything mine and around me. Their existence completes mine and indicates my possessions of them.
Once I thought what I had lost would remain as an open wound that time could never have healed. But later I realized I had been severely *possessed* by those materials instead of me being their owner who should have possessed them. It is the worst obsession I've ever had.

Likes 256bits
wolram said:
Probably my Fender Stratocaster*:

25175909794_654380610c_n.jpg

* But after one of my dear cats died about a year ago I came to the stark realisation how little inanimate possessions like these actually mean to me. But then again, we are all going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones:
25176219394_07a8db933a_o.jpg

Likes Drakkith
DennisN said:
Probably my Fender Stratocaster*:

25175909794_654380610c_n.jpg

* But after one of my dear cats died about a year ago I came to the stark realisation how little inanimate possessions like these actually mean to me. But then again, we are all going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones:
25176219394_07a8db933a_o.jpg

Ooo nice guitar i bet that cost an arm and a leg.

Likes DennisN
A small collection of artifacts, a few Egyptian from different Dynasties and an Etruscan piece. Though I feel no pride of possession I feel a strong responsibility to preserve. After my wife and the dog they would come first in a fire.

Likes Sophia
DennisN said:
But after one of my dear cats died about a year ago...

If they qualify as possessions ... yes, definitely our cats ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :heart:

Likes Sophia
I have a musical instrument collection. 27 different musical instruments.
I can play about a half of them.

That would probably be my eyes.

Likes Sophia
Pepper Mint said:
Almost everything mine and around me. Their existence completes mine and indicates my possessions of them.
Once I thought what I had lost would remain as an open wound that time could never have healed. But later I realized I had been severely *possessed* by those materials instead of me being their owner who should have possessed them. It is the worst obsession I've ever had.
Isn't that the truth a lot of the time.
Ones possessions having such a hold on you. You can't get rid of it because of "make up a reason"
But when its gone, it is soon forgotten.
The winner is the one with the most junk at the end, as that comedian said.

Likes Pepper Mint
OCR said:
If they qualify as possessions ... yes, definitely our cats ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :heart:

Cats are not possessions they own there owner:biggrin:

Likes Sophia, DennisN, xAxis and 1 other person
Don't really have one. Anything is replaceable. Photos carry memories but these days we get flooded with pictures.

Fervent Freyja said:
That would probably be my eyes.
And if the rest of you complements your eyes then coor.:biggrin:

wolram said:
Cats are not possessions they own there owner:biggrin:
Lol, yes they do...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:oldwink:[COLOR=#black]...[/COLOR] :oldbiggrin:

I don't know yet. I'll tell you once I lose it. You know... because they say:
Nobody knows what they have until they lose it.
:-p

Likes Sophia
Box of memories where I keep various souvenirs and little gifts from dear people. But I'm not overly attached to it, I always put things inside but never take time to take them out and remind myself. Maybe I'm not old enough yet :-)
I don't own anything especially valuable or precious. I'm proudly owned by a black cat and a crazy cockerspaniel.

Likes wolram
Sophia said:
Box of memories where I keep various souvenirs and little gifts from dear people. But I'm not overly attached to it, I always put things inside but never take time to take them out and remind myself. Maybe I'm not old enough yet :-)
I don't own anything especially valuable or precious. I'm proudly owned by a black cat and a crazy cockerspaniel.

Gosh how old do you have to be to have a treasured possession:biggrin: i love it you have a cocker spaniel and a cat.

wolram said:
Gosh how old do you have to be to have a treasured possession[emoji3] i love it you have a cocker spaniel and a cat.
I don't know but I'm not particularly fond of things and I don't have any hobbies that require special equipment.
I like coffee and good food and magnesium salt in my bath :-) but all of these come and go away so I don't consider them to be possessions.
Oh! Now something come to my mind! It's a 50 years old Teddy bear that my mum got when she was 5 and he was my favourite toy, too! His name is Mishko (little Michael). I almost forgot about him because I haven't seen him for ages! But yes, I would definitely save him in case of fire right after family, pets and important documents. He definitely is more valuable than my memory box.

Likes wolram
Sophia said:
I don't know but I'm not particularly fond of things and I don't have any hobbies that require special equipment.
I like coffee and good food and magnesium salt in my bath :-) but all of these come and go away so I don't consider them to be possessions.
Oh! Now something come to my mind! It's a 50 years old Teddy bear that my mum got when she was 5 and he was my favourite toy, too! His name is Mishko (little Michael). I almost forgot about him because I haven't seen him for ages! But yes, I would definitely save him in case of fire right after family, pets and important documents. He definitely is more valuable than my memory box.

Pure Asses milk for you Sophia with rose petals on the top:biggrin: It is amazing that people around the world love their teddies, i would save our amethyst geode in case of fire because i gave it to mom before she died, and our three cats of course.

Likes Sophia
My home. I obviously value it the most because I was willing to pay the most for it. It will not transfer with me in death, but it provides a comfort and security for my family while I am alive and will continue to do that for my family after I am gone. The items that make my life more enjoyable like dirt bikes, guitars, tools, are not possessions purchased because they will transfer at death but because I find enjoyment in them now and that's where there value is.
The feeling of jumping over an 80ft gap on a dirt bike on the way up the side of mountain where I stop and look out over a breathtaking scene that would take a couple days to hike, but instead being back in my truck heading home a half hour later...that feeling will last sometimes all week and the memory is forever.

Sophia said:
I'm proudly owned by a black cat and a crazy cockerspaniel.

:thumbup:

What is your most treasured possession?

As a scientist, I am often asked about my most treasured possession. Here are the top 5 most frequently asked questions about it:

1. Why is this your most treasured possession?

My most treasured possession is a microscope that was passed down to me from my grandfather. It holds sentimental value as it reminds me of my love for science and the influence my grandfather had on my career.

2. How did you acquire your most treasured possession?

I acquired my most treasured possession when my grandfather gifted it to me on my 16th birthday. He had used it throughout his career as a scientist and wanted me to have it as I pursued my own scientific journey.

3. What makes your most treasured possession special?

Aside from the sentimental value, my microscope is special because it has been passed down through generations and has been used by scientists in my family for over 100 years. It has a rich history and has been a part of many important scientific discoveries.

4. Do you use your most treasured possession in your work?

Yes, I do use my most treasured possession in my work. It is a functional and reliable microscope that I use for my research and experiments. It has been a valuable tool in my scientific career.

5. How do you take care of your most treasured possession?

I take great care of my most treasured possession by regularly cleaning and maintaining it. I also keep it in a safe and secure place to prevent any damages. It is important to me to preserve its history and functionality for future generations.