What keeps the planets in orbit

In summary, the trampoline analogy can be misleading when trying to understand the reason for planetary orbits. While it may work for visualizing the concept, it does not accurately explain the role of gravity and orbital velocity in keeping planets from crashing into each other.
G.U.T.finder
If the reason why the planets orbit around the sun is the deviations in the fabric of spacetime,what keeps the planets from crashing into each other? Like if I put a boulder on a trampoline and then I put a baseball next, the baseball would go toward the boulder. I think it could be dark matter pushing the planets away and gravity bringing them closer in equilibrium. But who knows the correct answer ( if there is one).

Physics news on Phys.org
G.U.T.finder said:
Like if I put a boulder on a trampoline and then I put a baseball next, the baseball would go toward the boulder.

You're one of many people who have been misled by the trampoline analogy. It makes for nice pictures and non-technical descriptions of kinda sort of what's happening, but it's very misleading if you want to really understand what's going on.

You can search this forum for some of the previous criticism of the trampoline analogy (try searching on "rubber sheet").

Nugatory said:
You're one of many people who have been misled by the trampoline analogy. It makes for nice pictures and non-technical descriptions of kinda sort of what's happening, but it's very misleading if you want to really understand what's going on.

While I'm firmly in the "the rubber sheet analogy is horrible" camp, it can handle OP's question just fine. Planets are in orbit around the sun. If they didn't have orbital velocity, they would crash into the sun just like OP is suggesting. As it is, they do have tangential velocity so they effectively "fall around" the sun. You can simulate this perfectly well with a boulder and a baseball on a trampoline, though friction will damp things pretty quickly.

It's still a bad analogy though.

1. What is the force that keeps the planets in orbit?

The force that keeps the planets in orbit is called gravity. This force is created by the mass of the planets and the mass of the sun. The larger the mass of the objects, the stronger the force of gravity between them.

2. How does gravity keep the planets in orbit?

Gravity keeps the planets in orbit by pulling them towards the sun. The planets are constantly moving towards the sun, but their tangential velocity (speed and direction) keeps them from falling into the sun. This results in a circular or elliptical orbit around the sun.

3. Why don't the planets fall into the sun?

The planets don't fall into the sun because of their tangential velocity and the force of gravity. The tangential velocity keeps the planets moving forward, while the force of gravity pulls them towards the sun. These two forces balance each other out, keeping the planets in orbit.

4. Do all planets have the same orbit around the sun?

No, not all planets have the same orbit around the sun. The size and shape of a planet's orbit depends on its distance from the sun and its mass. For example, Mercury has a much smaller orbit than Jupiter because it is closer to the sun and has a smaller mass.

5. Can planets change their orbit over time?

Yes, planets can change their orbit over time. This is due to the influence of other planets and objects in the solar system. For example, the orbit of Pluto was changed when it crossed paths with Neptune, causing it to become more elliptical. Additionally, the gravitational pull of passing comets and asteroids can also affect the orbit of a planet.