What kind of clothes should I avoid washing with very hot water?

• Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot Water
In summary: Unfortunately the scabies mites are very small and their eggs were also a problem so you really needed to heat everything comprehensively. I think moths would be easier but eggs are an issue there...
kenny1999
I don't normally wash clothes with very hot water but in order to eliminate clothes bugs I need to soak them in very hot water, as advised. I'd like to know what kind of clothes or texture should avoid being soaked in very hot or boiling water? The only texture I can think of is artificial leather because it is like plastic, any more? Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Most wool products will shrink, some severely, in hot water.

Likes Evo and Spinnor
Cotton can also shrink. And I am not sure I want to cook the plastic fibers in others. How about a strong chemical? I prefer chlorine if possible, but vanish oxygen might do as well.

Likes Spinnor
fresh_42 said:
vanish oxygen
I guess that is a UK brand? If so it does not seem to claim to kill "bugs".

By "chlorine" do you mean bleach?

Keith_McClary said:
I guess that is a UK brand? If so it does not seem to claim to kill "bugs".

By "chlorine" do you mean bleach?
I meant ##Cl## because bleach isn't a specific chemical, it's a product manufactured from varying chemicals. Another idea is vinegar but that ruins the colors.

Read the laundry labels attached to your clothing, then sort and wash similar items as suggested by the manufacturer. Further sort by color. Note that white fabrics must be isolated from colored items while black or other dark fabrics can safely be mixed with other dark colors.

Most clothing labels on items I own either preclude water washing -- wool, items marked 'dry clean only', sweaters, silk, jackets and coats -- or advise against hot temperatures, else specifically advise low temperature washing and drying. If the OP requires hot water to remove an infestation, consider small loads of like items. Ask your dry cleaner for guidance on items unsuitable for machine washing.

What kind of "bugs"?? Having once done battle with scabies mites (itchy S.O.B.'s) I know that a trip through the hot clothes dryer was what eventually brought them down. It may be possible to fumigate the clothes to kill the critters and then wash them in more temperate water but I would certainly consult a professional or a local board of health. If you live in a place that gets cold enough that may be sufficient (I think you can do bedbugs this way) ). Likely some things will not make it through the rough treatment. Good luck.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and Keith_McClary
hutchphd said:
What kind of "bugs"?? Having once done battle with scabies mites (itchy S.O.B.'s) I know that a trip through the hot clothes dryer was what eventually brought them down. It may be possible to fumigate the clothes to kill the critters and then wash them in more temperate water but I would certainly consult a professional or a local board of health. If you live in a place that gets cold enough that may be sufficient (I think you can do bedbugs this way) ). Likely some things will not make it through the rough treatment. Good luck.

Possibly not scabies mites (Isn't it not noticeable by naked eyes? How did you detect them?). In my case, they are clothes moths (99% I believe)... hot clothes dryer ? Can I use hair dryer instead??

SayByeBugs Bed Bug Extermination Laundry Treatment has active natural ingredients to eliminate bed bugs from laundry items by simply adding it to the wash cycle. Its nontoxic formula is safe enough to be used daily or weekly. It can be used for any washable item such as clothing, linens, comforters, duvets, plush toys, throw rugs, washable drapes, and upholstery.

SayByeBugs Laundry Treatment formula is used by thousands of hospitals and hotels nationwide to kill bed bugs in the laundry. The product may be used with or without your regular detergent. The product offers a concentrated dose of our all-natural ingredients to eliminate bed bugs on linens, clothes and other washable items.
1606220533788.png
  • Kill Bed Bugs in the Laundry
  • Kills Bed Bugs, Fleas, Ticks & Other Pests on Contact
  • Uses Natural Ingredients
  • Scent Free
  • Stain Free

From, https://shop.saybyebugs.com/products/saybyebugs-bed-bug-extermination-laundry-detergent-32-oz

From, https://www.google.com/search?safe=...Ewia-qT9k5vtAhXESzABHdsDBzE4ChDh1QMIDQ&uact=5

kenny1999 said:
Possibly not scabies mites (Isn't it not noticeable by naked eyes? How did you detect them?). In my case, they are clothes moths (99% I believe)... hot clothes dryer ? Can I use hair dryer instead??

Unfortunately the scabies mites are very small and their eggs were also a problem so you really needed to heat everything comprehensively. I think moths would be easier but eggs are an issue there also.

Spinnor said:
SayByeBugs Bed Bug Extermination Laundry Treatment has active natural ingredients to eliminate bed bugs from laundry items by simply adding it to the wash cycle. Its nontoxic formula is safe enough to be used daily or weekly. It can be used for any washable item such as clothing, linens, comforters, duvets, plush toys, throw rugs, washable drapes, and upholstery.

SayByeBugs Laundry Treatment formula is used by thousands of hospitals and hotels nationwide to kill bed bugs in the laundry. The product may be used with or without your regular detergent. The product offers a concentrated dose of our all-natural ingredients to eliminate bed bugs on linens, clothes and other washable items.View attachment 273061
  • Kill Bed Bugs in the Laundry
  • Kills Bed Bugs, Fleas, Ticks & Other Pests on Contact
  • Uses Natural Ingredients
  • Scent Free
  • Stain Free

From, https://shop.saybyebugs.com/products/saybyebugs-bed-bug-extermination-laundry-detergent-32-oz

From, https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&biw=1280&bih=579&sxsrf=ALeKk02yNTpWRZuaIztJ2lmpMTW4fZ7ItQ:1606220052521&ei=FPm8X5qgH8SXwbkP24eciAM&q=laundry+products+that+kill+bugs&oq=laundry+products+that+kill+bugs&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIJCAAQyQMQFhAeOg4ILhDHARCvARCRAhCTAjoFCAAQkQI6CwguELEDEMcBEKMCOgUIABCxAzoOCC4QsQMQgwEQxwEQowI6BQguELEDOgIIADoICC4QxwEQowI6CAguEMcBEK8BOgcILhBDEJMCOgQIABBDOgcIABAUEIcCOgoILhDHARCjAhBDOgQILhBDOgcIABCxAxBDOggIABCxAxDJAzoFCAAQkgM6BQgAEMkDOgoIABDJAxAUEIcCOgYIABAWEB5Qou0TWKS9FGCnwRRoAHABeACAAXKIAfcSkgEEMjkuMpgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwia-qT9k5vtAhXESzABHdsDBzE4ChDh1QMIDQ&uact=5

May I ask, if "Bed bug" is one specific type of bug or a broad term for a variety of bugs??

hutchphd said:
Unfortunately the scabies mites are very small and their eggs were also a problem so you really needed to heat everything comprehensively. I think moths would be easier but eggs are an issue there also.

Excuse me. Heat everything comprehensively? Did you mean all of my clothes only or everything from the ceiling to the floor in my home??

For scabies typically clothes towels and bedding, all at once. I think we had to do it twice...maybe thrice.

kenny1999 said:
I don't normally wash clothes with very hot water but in order to eliminate clothes bugs I need to soak them in very hot water, as advised. I'd like to know what kind of clothes or texture should avoid being soaked in very hot or boiling water? The only texture I can think of is artificial leather because it is like plastic, any more? Thx
Here they sell items specifically for sanitizing laundry, without heat or chemicals that will damage clothing, you could look for some, although with all of the insanity around Covid 19, finding them is harder than finding gold. Do you have a clothes drying machine? The heat from the dryer is said to sanitize laundry. For sheets and other colorfast synthetic fabrics, I just pour some Lysol cleaner into the washer, it kills bacteria and viruses, again don't know if that's available to you, but it doesn't seem to harm clothes. I only hand wash wool and similar clothing with detergents made for the.

kenny1999 said:
May I ask, if "Bed bug" is one specific type of bug or a broad term for a variety of bugs??

One type of nasty bug but the product claims to kill other types of bugs. Does not say anything about eggs though.

What kind of clothes should I avoid washing with very hot water?

There are certain types of clothing that should be avoided when washing with very hot water. Here are the top 5 frequently asked questions about which clothes to avoid and why.

1. Can I wash delicate fabrics like silk or lace with very hot water?

No, you should avoid washing delicate fabrics with very hot water. Hot water can cause these fabrics to shrink, lose their shape, or become damaged. It is best to wash delicate fabrics with lukewarm or cool water.

2. Are there any types of clothing materials that should never be washed with hot water?

Yes, there are certain materials that should never be washed with hot water. These include wool, cashmere, and other delicate fabrics. Hot water can cause these materials to shrink, felt, or become misshapen. It is best to wash these materials with cool water or follow the care instructions on the label.

3. Can I wash all my colored clothes with hot water?

No, it is not recommended to wash all colored clothes with hot water. Hot water can cause colors to fade or bleed, especially with dark or bright colors. It is best to wash colored clothes with cool or warm water to preserve their color.

4. Are there any other factors to consider when deciding whether to use hot water for washing clothes?

Yes, there are other factors to consider when deciding whether to use hot water for washing clothes. These include the fabric type, the level of dirt or stains on the clothes, and the care instructions on the clothing label. It is always best to follow the care instructions to avoid damaging your clothes.

5. Is it okay to wash all my clothes with hot water to ensure they are thoroughly cleaned?

No, it is not necessary to wash all your clothes with hot water to ensure they are clean. Most laundry detergents are designed to work effectively with cool or warm water. Hot water should only be used for heavily soiled items or certain types of fabrics. Using hot water for all your clothes can also increase your energy bill and cause unnecessary wear and tear on your clothes.