Washing Clothes: Mechanical vs Lazy Processes

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
In summary, there is not much difference between washing clothes in a washing machine and filling the tub with water, clothes, and powder and soaking them for an hour. The main difference is the convenience and time-saving aspect of using a washing machine. Hand-washing can be a labor-intensive process, especially for delicate items, but it can also save money compared to using a washing machine. However, hand-washing may not be as effective in removing dirt and stains as a washing machine with agitating functions. Ultimately, the choice between the two methods depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the clothes being washed.
BobG said:
You'll never get your clothes clean just getting them wet. You need a washboard and then you, "Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub! Plunge, and scrub!" Haven't you ever seen the movie "Far and Away"? They give directions.

Is that how you would wash a sleeping bag as well? But scrub with what? Just rub the material against each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
tgt said:
Is that how you would wash a sleeping bag as well? But scrub with what? Just rub the material against each other?

I'd just take it to a cleaners if it can't be thrown in a washing machine. Let them figure it out. I have tossed sleeping bags into the washer (but also do as someone mentioned above of using a sheet or thin blanket as a liner...I fold a sheet in half, sew the bottom edge where your feet will go, and then sew up along half of the long side...creates a nice pocket to slide into and if you are a restless sleeper, like I am when sleeping on hard ground, the liner doesn't unwrap) and then the dryer. The hardest part of handwashing something of that size will be adequately wringing it out so it'll dry. Though, if it can be handwashed, I can't see why it can't be machine washed on a delicate cycle at least...depending on the fabric and lining, it might need to be dry cleaned.

Moonbear said:
I'd just take it to a cleaners if it can't be thrown in a washing machine. Let them figure it out. I have tossed sleeping bags into the washer (but also do as someone mentioned above of using a sheet or thin blanket as a liner...I fold a sheet in half, sew the bottom edge where your feet will go, and then sew up along half of the long side...creates a nice pocket to slide into and if you are a restless sleeper, like I am when sleeping on hard ground, the liner doesn't unwrap) and then the dryer. The hardest part of handwashing something of that size will be adequately wringing it out so it'll dry. Though, if it can be handwashed, I can't see why it can't be machine washed on a delicate cycle at least...depending on the fabric and lining, it might need to be dry cleaned.

Does dry clean give the best results? What other cleaning methods are there?

tgt said:

Servants. Or the students favourite, hanging it out of the window a few days so it can air. But I think dry cleaning is the best as it's a professional service. Also hanging your clothes on the line in a heavy rain shower is quite good. Not that I do that obviously. :uhh:

tgt said:

If it says to dry clean, dry cleaning gives the best results. If it doesn't say to dry clean, then it might not. Professional cleaners can also do wet cleaning on large items if you can't do it at home...as was pointed out before...DO WHAT THE LABEL SAYS. Or if you're still under 30, call your mom. :rofl:

Likes gracy
Moonbear said:
If it says to dry clean, dry cleaning gives the best results. If it doesn't say to dry clean, then it might not. Professional cleaners can also do wet cleaning on large items if you can't do it at home...as was pointed out before...DO WHAT THE LABEL SAYS. Or if you're still under 30, call your mom. :rofl:

Unfortunately it says to hand wash. They probably don't do hand wash anymore in shops?

tgt said:
Unfortunately it says to hand wash. They probably don't do hand wash anymore in shops?

If it's one item wash it in the sink with some soap powder. Make sure the water is comfortable to wash in and heat shouldn't be an issue. Leave it to soak for a few hours, and mash it around occasionally and it should be fine. If your really lazy like me get your maid to do it. :smile:

Schrodinger's Dog said:
If it's one item wash it in the sink with some soap powder. Make sure the water is comfortable to wash in and heat shouldn't be an issue. Leave it to soak for a few hours, and mash it around occasionally and it should be fine. If your really lazy like me get your maid to do it. :smile:

Why dosen't this method work for 10 items say?

tgt said:
Why dosen't this method work for 10 items say?

It does, you'll just need a bath instead. It sounded to me though like you just wanted to wash 1 item.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
It does, you'll just need a bath instead. It sounded to me though like you just wanted to wash 1 item.

I orginally asked washing a basket of clothes whether the method you described worked. Everyone else said no. You seem to agree? Have you tried it?

Then the sleeping bag question came up as I really need to wash it, it hasn't been washed for a decade?

tgt said:
I orginally asked washing a basket of clothes whether the method you described worked. Everyone else said no. You seem to agree? Have you tried it?

Then the sleeping bag question came up as I really need to wash it, it hasn't been washed for a decade?

Yes I have tried it and yes it works. If people say that washing your clothes by hand doesn't work then they are wrong, simple as that. It might not be as good as using a washing machine but it will get your clothes clean or at the least much cleaner.

I'd be careful about washing a sleeping bag, it can be done - I've washed a quilt before - but the amount of water in it makes it a pain to carry, make sure you wring it out thoroughly, or it will take ages to dry. Give it a long soaking as well and top it up with hot water occasionally.

Last edited:
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Yes I have tried it and yes it works. If people say that washing your clothes by hand doesn't work then they are wrong, simple as that.

I think you were referring to just soaking the clothes in soap water for an hour or so. Does this exclude all forms of rubbing and doing physical labour on it?

tgt said:
I think you were referring to just soaking the clothes in soap water for an hour or so. Does this exclude all forms of rubbing and doing physical labour on it?

I don't think I said that you shouldn't put a bit of physical effort into it. The method I use is to give it a good pummelling, go off for a while then do the same again, repeat until your happy it's clean. You can of course spend half an hour giving your clothes a good beating until they are clean, but if time isn't a factor I prefer to just let nature take it's course, up to a point.

Schrodinger's Dog said:

oh, okay, here is your quote. You did say mash it a bit. So just knock it a bit? A few swirls?

tgt said:
oh, okay, here is your quote. You did say mash it a bit. So just knock it a bit? A few swirls?

Yeah give it a good wring and then put it back in the water and bash it around a bit and then come back later. Add a bit of hot water every now and then, should do the trick.

tgt said:

If your washer has a delicate cycle, you can use that for things that are supposed to be hand washed. And stick to warm or cold water washing, not hot.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Yeah give it a good wring and then put it back in the water and bash it around a bit and then come back later. Add a bit of hot water every now and then, should do the trick.

Sounds good. Why bother with a washing machine then?

tgt said:
Sounds good. Why bother with a washing machine then?

Rather a slow process for large amounts of laundry, don't you think? As was pointed out very early in the thread, you don't NEED a washing machine, it's a convenience.

tgt said:
So soaking them in soap water don't work? Why not? What if it's only sweat and no dirt or anything like that?
As with washing your hands, the primary function of washing is to mechanically remove contaminants. The agitation and rubbing that comes with a washing machine or with a good hand-wash is designed to break up the oils - which is what most dirt on clothes and human bodies are composed of.

Water, and particularly hot water, will certainly aid in this process, but you need the soap to emulsify the oils (capture them and coat them) or they will just reattach themselves to the cloth. Once a bit of soap and a bit of hot water have done their jobs they can't do any more, and in fact, get in the way of further cleaning - the used soap and the (cooler) water needs to get out of the way so that more soap and hot water can get in.

And that's why agitation is a key component.

[EDIT: Oops - I'm a little late to the table...]

Last edited:
tgt said:
For someone this intent on minimizing the effort put into anything, you certainly put a lot of effort into figuring out the exact value of this minimal effort.

You should consider studying Operations Research. The possibilities will make you giddy.

Gokul43201 said:
For someone this intent on minimizing the effort put into anything, you certainly put a lot of effort into figuring out the exact value of this minimal effort.

You should consider studying Operations Research. The possibilities will make you giddy.

:rofl: I don't even know what we're washing anymore...is it a tub full of clothing, or a sleeping bag?

Gokul43201 said:

:rofl: My hubby's an OR guy!

Moonbear said:
:rofl: I don't even know what we're washing anymore...is it a tub full of clothing, or a sleeping bag?

Both really. I got a great idea about not using a machine for a tub full of clothes. Why not wash each day's clothes individually everyday. A little effort a day seems like nothing.

tgt said:
Both really. I got a great idea about not using a machine for a tub full of clothes. Why not wash each day's clothes individually everyday. A little effort a day seems like nothing.

There's no reason not to if you don't mind that extra time every day. Of course, someone who's single and living alone with just a small amount of clothing to wash every day might not find it nearly as much of a burden as someone with a family and children who go through several changes of clothing in a day as they get into messes. Some people also prefer letting their clothes hang to dry rather than putting them into a dryer (and for some clothes, this is the best approach to avoid shrinkage), but for most clothing, people don't really want to wait that long for the clothes to dry.

Moonbear said:
There's no reason not to if you don't mind that extra time every day. Of course, someone who's single and living alone with just a small amount of clothing to wash every day might not find it nearly as much of a burden as someone with a family and children who go through several changes of clothing in a day as they get into messes. Some people also prefer letting their clothes hang to dry rather than putting them into a dryer (and for some clothes, this is the best approach to avoid shrinkage), but for most clothing, people don't really want to wait that long for the clothes to dry.

The only concern is that only one bathroom sink may make it too dirty?

tgt said:
The only concern is that only one bathroom sink may make it too dirty?

So clean the sink, dear tgt dear tgt dear tgt; so clean the sink, dear tgt; dear tgt, so clean it!

mbrmbrg said:
So clean the sink, dear tgt dear tgt dear tgt; so clean the sink, dear tgt; dear tgt, so clean it!

A clean after every wash which is everyday seems too much?

tgt said:
So rest on it dear tgt dear tgt, so rest on dear tgt my friend...

tgt said:

And thus you understand why most people prefer to just use a washing machine. If your other option is lugging all your laundry off to an expensive laundromat, though, I could see preferring to wash some things by hand, especially if you're low on quarters at the same time as you're low on underwear. :biggrin:

I really can't believe you're making such a big deal of this. If it's too much work, use a washing machine. If you don't mind the extra work (including cleaning up the sink area when done), then go for it. Whatever, it's your laundry and your life.

tgt, are you on your own for the first time, and haven't had any exposure to doing chores like laundry?

Washing machines and driers are much more efficient than hand washing. If you choose to hand wash, you're going to have to have a place to hang your clothes to dry. I don't know where on the planet you live, but if it's a rainy or humid place, that could be a problem. Your clothes might take quite a while to dry.

If you aren't familiar with using washing machines, ask someone at the laudramat. An older person would be a good choice. Sometimes there's an attendant; they could be of help, as well.

I <3 Fluff N' Fold!

For small washes, you could try one of these devices.. manually powered via a handle... for $30 to $50.

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/images/products/thumbs/wonderwash.jpg

http://i.treehugger.com/files/Wonderwash.jpg

The instructions to wash clothes are so simple a kid could do it. Depending on the amount of clothes you're washing, you add a prescribed amount of detergent and water, then your clothes, and then you turn the handle for 2-3 minutes. After washing you stick the drain tube on the bottom, drain the soapy water, refill with clean water, and spin a few more times to rinse the clothes. Drain again, hang the clothes up to dry, and you're done washing.

There are good number of reviews about for it on many a web-page, from people seemingly happy with the results.

http://www.laundry-alternative.com/pages/reviews-wonderwash.htm
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Wonder+Wash&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
The Wonderwash operates by stowing your dirty clothes in the barrel, with hot or warm water and a small amount of detergent and fixing the lid in place. A pressure screw in then tightened on the lid. It is this pressure which the key to the performance of the unit. The notion is that the hot water in the completely sealed and pressurised barrel heats up the air trapped inside. This pressure forces the water and the detergent through the fabrics and separates the dirt and grime rapidly. Rotating the barrel with the handle further agitates the mixture of water, detergent, fabric and dirt. About 2 minutes rotation is supposedly all that is required. The pressure screw is released and the dirty water emptied. The Wonderwash can also be used for rinsing laundry. But it is not a mini tumble drier.

When I was lecturing in eco-design, the Wonderwash made a great case study for innovative thinking. Taking the notion of pressure cooking in the kitchen and applying it to the laundry. It can use 45,000 less litres of water per year, compared to a standard top load washing machine, a saving of nearly 80%. There is also a corresponding saving of roughly 65% in energy and 45% in detergent use.

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2005/07/qa_electricity.php

Last edited by a moderator: