1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of degree do I need to do this:

1. Apr 5, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of degree (and how many years) or what I would need to study in order to do the following things: If it is not possible with one degree, can you please break it up and let me know which degrees do differnt parts?

1.) Learn how to make cars run on water.

2.) Learn how to make solar panels and get a higher ammount of energy from them.

3.) Learn how to make a flying car.

4.) Learn how to make a virtual reality helmet, one that really makes you feel like your in a real world.

5.) Learn how to make a spaceship travel at the speed of light. (or as close as possible)

6.) Cure diseases like aids.

7.) Manipulate genes and dna to create perfect children.

It's a little out there I know..... but hey, with a little of your help now.... I just might do one of these things in your life time.
    If multiple people want to comment on the same subject please do, I am looking for as many suggestions as possible.

:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2007 #2
    1. impossible

2.many degrees contain information related to this, chemistry engineering and physics.

3. aerospace engineering

4. comp sci/neuroscience

5. physics

6. certain kinds of biology will give you a good understanding of how to proceed.

7. certain kinds of biology, but wuld you want to? (go watch the movie gattaca)

4. Apr 5, 2007 #3
    :uhh: sounds freaky.

Anyway, I'd say for the most part what you want is engineering. Probably aerospace since it's very expansive. Then some form of biology to start with focusing later on. If you lived here, that'd be minimum 9 years of University, and you'd perhaps want to pick up at least one phd, so perhaps 12-15?

edit: oh and, cars running on water - you mean like, cars that actually driving on the surface or being able to move through water? There are cars that also have boat functionality around now.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  5. Apr 5, 2007 #4
    First I thought he meant driving ont he surface, though I'm led to believe he might have meant to say water-fueled cars.

6. Apr 5, 2007 #5
    ahhh, that makes more sense. In that case, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water-fuelled_car :wink:

7. Apr 5, 2007 #6
    yes I saw a show on discovery channel about einstein, and in the show using e=mc2 they said there was enough power in 1 glass of water, to power the city of london for a week.

If this is true... how can I learn how to do this?

8. Apr 5, 2007 #7
    Maybe you should do an economics subject or two to understand how the real world works before thinking about what practical things you may like to do.

9. Apr 6, 2007 #8
    2odd that is true, however there would be no way to unleash that energy unless you had antimatter.

and because there are no natural sources of antimatter, producing it and then using the energy from subsequent antimatter reactions would pose a similar problem to the water-fueled car.

10. Apr 6, 2007 #9
    How did you answer all of his questions and not mention electrical engineering once?! :rofl:

11. Apr 6, 2007 #10
    hmm whart do you guys do again?

;)

12. Apr 6, 2007 #11
    If you want to make children as perfect as I am, you would need to do a lot of research into Genetics, among a few other Biology topics. :wink:

13. May 4, 2007 #12
    woot.. antimatter! (basically all my knowledge of antimatter, Vatican city, and art history, come from the book Angels and Demons)

antimatter seems almost too good to be true, as far as how efficient it is and such

14. May 4, 2007 #13
    that is different... that isn't chemical potential. that is the potential energy you can only release by annihatating it, and i dont think packing anti-matter into the trunk of your car is a cheap and effective way to get to work

15. May 4, 2007 #14

1. industrial chemistry maybe, although i doubt we'll get to that in the next 100 years.

2.quite a few things. electrical engineer maybe, chemist, and a few other things.

3. the last thing i want is for flying cars to be popularized. we're lucky the FAA has strict laws on liscensing and planes are expensive, both of those together make sure that if you fly, you are serious about it. last thing i want to see is drunk college kids zooming through the air at 200 mph. but in your case i'd say mechanical/aerospace engineering.

4. virtual reality helmets wouldnt be possible from doing just one degree, it require would be a team many many of people including software engineers, electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, etc. and thousands/millions of dollars available on hand

5. physics. i suggest we come back to this one in about 300 years.

6. biochemist, epidemologist, virologist, pharmacologist, etc.

7. go on vacation to kamino for that one.

I'm guessing you're in junior high?

16. May 4, 2007 #15

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

1 and 3 have already been accomplished - there are already amphibious vehicles, including cars, and flying cars.

The others have been answered satsifactorily.

As for 7), I prefer the old-fashioned and natural way of reproduction. :biggrin:

17. May 5, 2007 #16
    The first 1-5 are virtually of Mecha. engineer;
    and the rest of 2 are probably bioengineer.

This however covered entire nature sciences for a person to studies, you may ask yourself do you have enough time and patience to handle all this homework in your future life?
    I think it likes something so-called "careerism".

18. May 5, 2007 #17
    7.) Eugenics - Geneticist, Biochemist, Biologist

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?