1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of equation is this and how could I solve it?

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me about this equation:

f(x)=f(y)+cx

How can I select points for this equation and graph it? What values are constant and what values are changing? Thanks

2. Relevant equations

f(x)=f(y)+cx

3. The attempt at a solution

Well... maybe choose a fixed value for y and for c?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What happens if you put y = 0?

[Edit-Added]Are you sure you have stated the problem completely and correctly? Putting y=0 gives f(x) = f(0) + cx. Putting y = t gives f(x) = f(t) + cx. Subtracting those says f(0) = f(t) so f is constant. But that doesn't work unless c = 0.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  4. Jun 19, 2013 #3
    :smile:OK, that's a possibility, thanks LCKurtz

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Make sure you notice my edited comment.

6. Jun 19, 2013 #5
    Oh thanks for that message, I did not see your edited response...You are right, there is more!!! :smile: The equation is [itex]\alpha[/itex]^(-1)(t)=[itex]\alpha[/itex]^(-1)(m)+(1/2[itex]\pi[/itex])(β)(t). This is for the running of the couplings, haven't done any of this stuff until this summer... Hope you can shed some light!

7. Jun 19, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I assume you want to arrive at y as a function of x, y=y(x) (or in the revised version m = m(t)).
    Please clarify what alpha is here. Judging from the original post it is an arbitrary unknown function. If so, I see no hope of saying much about m(t). If you assume it's invertible then you can show m(0) = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted