1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What kind of jobs do physicists get?

1. Nov 11, 2013 #1
    I'm studying physics II, programming and maths atm. I always wanted to go for physics but I really have cravings for technology stuff like electrical engineering. I always had love for physics but school sort of systematically killed it and I am seeing more freedom in the programming/tech section, I'd hate to end up teaching maths or physics. What I want to do is to either research or develop stuff. Will that be viable if I am an educated physicist? I kind of want to study all the physics and then get some fun job that does include innovation and such. I already know how to program and use CAD programs so I feel I wold rather take the DIY approach to the engineering part and go for physics academically.

So, are there fun jobs for physicists involving research of theories and/or development of technologies etc. I feel like electrical engineering is cool but not something I want to devote my life too, any takes on this?

I have to decide in the coming months which path I choose.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2013 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook