What kind of jobs do physicists get?

In summary, the speaker is currently studying physics, programming, and math, but has a strong interest in technology and electrical engineering. They feel that school has dampened their love for physics and are considering a career in research or development. They wonder if it is possible to combine their interests and if there are fun jobs for physicists that involve both theory and technology. They also mention considering a DIY approach to engineering and must make a decision about their career path soon.
Jarfi
I'm studying physics II, programming and maths atm. I always wanted to go for physics but I really have cravings for technology stuff like electrical engineering. I always had love for physics but school sort of systematically killed it and I am seeing more freedom in the programming/tech section, I'd hate to end up teaching maths or physics. What I want to do is to either research or develop stuff. Will that be viable if I am an educated physicist? I kind of want to study all the physics and then get some fun job that does include innovation and such. I already know how to program and use CAD programs so I feel I wold rather take the DIY approach to the engineering part and go for physics academically.

So, are there fun jobs for physicists involving research of theories and/or development of technologies etc. I feel like electrical engineering is cool but not something I want to devote my life too, any takes on this?

I have to decide in the coming months which path I choose.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What industries do physicists typically work in?

Physicists can work in a variety of industries, including research and development, healthcare, technology and engineering, energy, and government agencies. Some may also work in education as professors or researchers.

2. What types of job titles do physicists have?

Job titles for physicists can vary depending on their specific field of study and industry. Some common job titles include research physicist, medical physicist, data scientist, nuclear engineer, and aerospace engineer.

3. How much do physicists typically earn?

The average salary for physicists can vary greatly based on their level of education, industry, and experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for physicists in 2020 was $131,080.

4. What skills are important for physicists to have?

Physicists need to have strong analytical, mathematical, and problem-solving skills. They also need to have excellent critical thinking and communication skills, as well as the ability to work with complex data and equipment.

5. What are some possible career paths for physicists?

Physicists can pursue a variety of career paths, including research and development, academia, healthcare, engineering, and government work. They may also choose to specialize in a specific field of physics, such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, or biophysics.