What Kind of Tensor Product is v=S:∇I?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jure
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Product
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
jure
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I'm reading a book about fluid dynamics and I found some strange product between tensors. It's written like this: v=S:∇I , where S and I are matrices and v is a vector. Symbol : usually denotes Frobenius inner product. In this case we have a product of a matrix with a tensor of rank 3 and the result is vector - so it's not classical Frobenius product.
I would like to know what kind of product this is (especially useful would be index notation).
Thanks for help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jure said:
Hi,
I'm reading a book about fluid dynamics and I found some strange product between tensors. It's written like this: v=S:∇I , where S and I are matrices and v is a vector. Symbol : usually denotes Frobenius inner product. In this case we have a product of a matrix with a tensor of rank 3 and the result is vector - so it's not classical Frobenius product.
I would like to know what kind of product this is (especially useful would be index notation).
Thanks for help.

I would guess a double contraction, which would turn a rank 5 tensor into a vector:[tex] v_i = S_{ijk} \frac{\partial I_k}{\partial x_j}[/tex]
 
pasmith said:
I would guess a double contraction, which would turn a rank 5 tensor into a vector:[tex] v_i = S_{ijk} \frac{\partial I_k}{\partial x_j}[/tex]

I initially guessed something like this too, but then thought that

jure said:
S and I are matrices and v is a vector

might indicate that S only has two indices.
 
Maybe something like ##\left( S \cdot \nabla \right) \cdot I## with component form

$$v_k = S_{ij} \frac{\partial I_{ik}}{\partial x_j}?$$
 
George Jones said:
Maybe something like ##\left( S \cdot \nabla \right) \cdot I## with component form

$$v_k = S_{ij} \frac{\partial I_{ik}}{\partial x_j}?$$

Yes, something like this. I and S only have 2 indices. How do you know over which indices to sum? Why wouldn't you sum over i and k instead of i and j?