What kind of wrench or tool can force open a door knob?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ephant
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Wrench
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Ephant
Messages
147
Reaction score
2
One time a door got locked with the keys inside. I tried to kick the door open, but it can't even open. I saw in the movie they just kicked door once to open a door, it may not be true, unless you are the Rock.

I know the lock services can open it using some kind of keys. But one time they used a big wrench (I'm not sure what it was) that forced turning the knob that destroyed it and opened the door..

When you force turning the knobs like the one below. Can it really open it? Why? Will a pipe wrench works? I don't want to try and destroy my door knob. If a pipe wrench won't work. What specific tool to force turning it in case the key is inside or you don't have time to call the key services? Thank you!

door knob.JPG
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ephant said:
What specific tool to force turning it in case the key is inside or you don't have time to call the key services? Thank you!
To open the locked door gently, you must partly withdraw, then turn the square shaft.

Unfortunately, that requires the knob be turned, or simply pulled off the door with a draw-hammer. The draw hammer could be a metre of chain and shackle, that attaches to the neck of the knob, with a 10 kg weight attached that accelerates away from the door.

A car-jack with a length of wood, or a lever, could push the door knob upwards, gaining access to the square shaft. A wooden wedge between the door knob and jamb could also remove the knob by pushing it sideways.

Get creative. Stay legal.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: russ_watters
Ephant said:
I saw in the movie they just kicked door once to open a door, it may not be true, unless you are the Rock.
If you mostly have wooden parts, it's easier than you might think. (But either the wooden door or frame will break.)

If there are metal reinforcement plates, then it is nearly impossible to kick it open.





​
Ephant said:
What specific tool to force turning it in case the key is inside or you don't have time to call the key services?
This guy is using V-shaped tongue-and-groove pliers:

​
 
Ephant said:
One time a door got locked with the keys inside. I tried to kick the door open, but it can't even open. I saw in the movie they just kicked door once to open a door, it may not be true, unless you are the Rock.

I know the lock services can open it using some kind of keys. But one time they used a big wrench (I'm not sure what it was) that forced turning the knob that destroyed it and opened the door..
You accidentally locked your keys in a room of yours, and your solution was to kick in the door? Seriously?

The cost of a locksmith is likely less than the cost of the damage to the door, lock and doorframe.

And for those of us who do know how to open locks, please keep in mind that if the lock is not yours, you need written permission to unlock it. Please do not ask me how I know this.

PF is not for teaching folks how to get around locks. This thread is closed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Lnewqban, Bystander and hmmm27