What kind of wrench or tool can force open a door knob?

• Thread starter Ephant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wrench
Ephant
One time a door got locked with the keys inside. I tried to kick the door open, but it can't even open. I saw in the movie they just kicked door once to open a door, it may not be true, unless you are the Rock.

I know the lock services can open it using some kind of keys. But one time they used a big wrench (I'm not sure what it was) that forced turning the knob that destroyed it and opened the door..

When you force turning the knobs like the one below. Can it really open it? Why? Will a pipe wrench works? I don't want to try and destroy my door knob. If a pipe wrench won't work. What specific tool to force turning it in case the key is inside or you don't have time to call the key services? Thank you!

door knob.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ephant said:
What specific tool to force turning it in case the key is inside or you don't have time to call the key services? Thank you!
To open the locked door gently, you must partly withdraw, then turn the square shaft.

Unfortunately, that requires the knob be turned, or simply pulled off the door with a draw-hammer. The draw hammer could be a metre of chain and shackle, that attaches to the neck of the knob, with a 10 kg weight attached that accelerates away from the door.

A car-jack with a length of wood, or a lever, could push the door knob upwards, gaining access to the square shaft. A wooden wedge between the door knob and jamb could also remove the knob by pushing it sideways.

Get creative. Stay legal.

Likes russ_watters
Ephant said:
I saw in the movie they just kicked door once to open a door, it may not be true, unless you are the Rock.
If you mostly have wooden parts, it's easier than you might think. (But either the wooden door or frame will break.)

If there are metal reinforcement plates, then it is nearly impossible to kick it open.

Ephant said:
What specific tool to force turning it in case the key is inside or you don't have time to call the key services?
This guy is using V-shaped tongue-and-groove pliers:

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Ephant said:
One time a door got locked with the keys inside. I tried to kick the door open, but it can't even open. I saw in the movie they just kicked door once to open a door, it may not be true, unless you are the Rock.

I know the lock services can open it using some kind of keys. But one time they used a big wrench (I'm not sure what it was) that forced turning the knob that destroyed it and opened the door..
You accidentally locked your keys in a room of yours, and your solution was to kick in the door? Seriously?

The cost of a locksmith is likely less than the cost of the damage to the door, lock and doorframe.

And for those of us who do know how to open locks, please keep in mind that if the lock is not yours, you need written permission to unlock it. Please do not ask me how I know this.

PF is not for teaching folks how to get around locks. This thread is closed.

Likes Lnewqban, Bystander and hmmm27

1. What is the best tool to use to force open a door knob?

The most effective tool for forcing open a door knob is typically a bump key or a lock picking set, designed specifically for manipulating the locking mechanism. However, for non-locksmith purposes, people often use a crowbar or a flathead screwdriver to pry the door open.

2. Is it legal to force open a door knob?

Forcing open a door knob without proper authorization is generally illegal and considered a break-in or trespassing. It is legal only in situations where you have explicit permission or in emergency scenarios where property or personal safety is at risk.

3. Can a hammer be used to force open a door knob?

Yes, a hammer can be used to force open a door knob by breaking the knob or lock. However, this method is destructive and should only be used as a last resort, as it damages both the lock and the door.

4. What is the least damaging way to force open a locked door knob?

The least damaging way is to use lock picking tools, which require some skill but do not damage the lock or the door. Another less damaging method is using a credit card or a similar tool to bypass the latch on doors that are not deadbolted.

5. Are there any specific wrenches designed for opening door knobs?

While there are no wrenches specifically designed to open door knobs, adjustable wrenches or pipe wrenches can sometimes be used to grip and turn a door knob forcefully. However, this can severely damage the knob and the door mechanism.