What kinds of dangerous/parasite animals are in your area?

• Thread starter Sophia
  • Start date
wukunlin
Gold Member
Human beings are much more dangerous than the creatures mentioned in the thread so far. I guess that means the most dangerous animals in my area are my neighbours.

My father got Lyme disease from a tick a few years ago. Thankfully treated early.

Likes kyphysics
jim mcnamara
Mentor
We have amoebas that literally eat your brain. Yum, yum.
Foir example, the hot springs in Jemez Springs NM has them, and every year one or two people become infected. And die usually.
Naegleria fowleri is the beastie's Latin name.

http://www.webmd.com/brain/brain-eating-amoeba#1

Likes BillTre
S.G. Janssens
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
We have amoebas that literally eat your brain. Yum, yum.
Foir example, the hot springs in Jemez Springs NM has them, and every year one or two people become infected. And die usually.
So, either one suffers a heat stroke or has one's brain eaten. On bad days both may happen, and the lucky amoebas have their food cooked.
Meanwhile, how is the weather in New Mexico these days?

jim mcnamara
Mentor
We are back down to a bearable average of about 92°F high. Amoebas notwithstanding, a lot of people bathe in hot springs which are found all over the state. Really remote ones do not have warning signs.

DS2C
Well I had a Lynx in my house a couple years ago. Came in through the dog door. Would have taken a pic but honestly went for my gun just in case it went after my dog. Luckily I scared it off with the vacuum cleaner...

Likes BillTre
Here in New Zealand, people are the only real problem. We don't have many poisonous things, a couple of spiders that aren't usually fatal. There are some wild pigs in the bush, introduced by the Europeans, they can be mean but you don't usually come across them unless you look for them, the only native mammal is a little bat. Oh and earth quakes.

Cheers

Phillipmatos
There are many parasitic animals near to my area. But luckily our area head had called a professional exterminator to terminate them fully.

strangerep
Science Advisor
The most dangerous animal near me is Golfus Obesus Ignoramus.

I need be quite wary when I step outside my back door, lest I get hit by the hard little white spherical projectiles that it can spit over surprisingly long distances.

Mostly deer ticks
Opossums are great for "cleaning" the local pests like ticks and even some snakes (as they are immune to some poisons).

We had one live in our garage - unbeknownst to my parents and us "kids" - about eight years ago. He/she seemed to live there for about 7-12 days we surmised. When I saw it late one night, I freaked out and thought I had seen the world's largest rat. I opened to door and it ran away. Then, I researched them online and found that they were great for residential neighborhoods, because they'll eat all the bugs we hate, while not harming us.