What limits download speeds if labs achieved 14 Tbps?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NetMage
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
39 replies · 8K views
Will we be able to clog 1000Tb/s tubes?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm enjoying all the posts on here so far and I am learning quite a bit. I like to look at hypothetical situations so that I can understand what is possible, but at the same to I want to look at practical situations because I live in an area that gets decent internet...like 1MB/s download speeds on a pretty good day, however it disconnects quite often. I am trying to find a way to get my internet to get maybe 5 MB/s or at least better than what I am getting now, while keeping my ping around 100ms or so. Ideas?
 
Say, I piece together several hard drives to give myself more bandwidth, how would I connect it through my ISP, or would I even be able to do that. My ISP is a wireless tower that gives about 1MB/s downloads or they say more, but I've never experienced it. N then is there any other way to increase speed of the net? Or am I strictly going to be stuck with whatever ISP is available to me. Because its either satellite or this wireless network, which is much better than satellite for gaming etc.
 
Simply adding hard drives doesn't give you extra bandwidth.

You can only get what the ISP gives you. If their maximum is 1mb/s, then there is nothing you personally can do to improve that.
 
Hm, so there really is no good solution to my problem? :( lol
 
My ISP is a small small company, I don't think they offer bigger bandwidths than what we get already.
 
Hm, could someone break down the cost estimation for each part of starting a high speed internet service? What is so costly about doing this? What makes increasing bandwidths more expensive? What all would I need as far as the components to supply 1 home with a wireless broadband at maybe 8 Mbps or so??
 
Netmage, unless you are rather wealthy, it isn't going to happen.

The equipment alone will set you back quite a bit.

I don't know why you're so hell bent on having your own internet service. If you can't get it cheaply from a local service, I can guarantee you that it can't be done cheaply by yourself.