Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Magnetic field is generated

1. Apr 16, 2013 #1
    If am using a flat spiral coil and giving sinusoidal voltage signal to it. i want to find the field generated at a point which is located at d cms from the flat spiral coil how can i get it? and also if am using another flat spiral coil at distance d cms what is the voltage induced in it..?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2013 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 16, 2013 #3
    Thank you DaleSpam,

Actually i thought of it but had doubt whether we can use it or not, if it is correct method to proceed or not..

5. Apr 16, 2013 #4

Dale

The Biot-Savart law is an approximation for the magnetostatic case. Strictly speaking, your coil is not magnetostatic, but as long as the size of the coil divided by c is small relative to the period of your voltage then the approximation is fine.

6. Apr 16, 2013 #5
    Am confused little bit what do you mean when you are telling coil divided by c.. can you explain it clearly...

7. Apr 16, 2013 #6

Dale

Suppose your coil is 1 m in diameter. 1 m / (299792458 m/s) = 3.3 ns So if the period of your sinusoidal voltage is much greater than 3.3 ns (i.e. frequency much < 300 MHz) then the approximation should be fine.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  8. Apr 16, 2013 #7
    Yeah understood but the coil which am going to use will be 8cms, for that case we approximation will be fine nah

9. Apr 16, 2013 #8

Dale

Yes, in that case you should be OK to use Biot-Savart up to 900 MHz or so.

10. Apr 16, 2013 #9
    K thank you sir, hope i will get positive result if i have doubt i will be back to you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook