What major would be the most promising for a career in fusion?

In summary, nuclear engineering is a great option for someone who wants to work with fusion, but it’s not the only option. Environmental engineering may be a good second choice if you want to work with renewable energy.
Luke Velie
Hello. Currently, I am a high school junior that has completed AP Physics C: Mechanics with a 4 on the exam, and I am in Calc 2 at the Univ of Oklahoma. I have, over the last two years, developed a great interest in physics, and for a long time have had interest in combatting climate change/global warming by going into the renewable energy industry.

For some time, I have been set on nuclear engineering due to the assumption that nuclear engineering bachelors➡️Nuclear engineering doctorate (obviously masters in there too)➡️Potentially working with fusion. But, with my newfound interest in physics, I’ve been thinking about going into nuclear physics, and I’ve also heard that it may be more beneficial for where I want to go. Should I simply go into environmental if I want to work with renewable energy? So, here’s my swathe of questions:

1.) I plan to go to UC Berkeley, but I am also considering UCSD, or transferring to Berkeley later on. Going here, which programme would be ideal to go into - NE or N. Physics?

2.) I don’t want to take the “easy” way out, but if this is extensive and things don’t work out, should I just go into environmental engineering?

3.) In general, given the info I wrote, is NE or physics more promising?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That very much depends - what, in particular, do you want to work on? Do you want to be working on computational models of atomic interactions or more fundamental experimental research, or do you want to work more on the application side? That would decide whether you do nuclear engineering or nuclear physics.

I can't speak for Berkeley, but at many universities, the first semester of coursework is about the same for a physics vs. engineering major (maybe 1 or 2 classes different). It might be wise to pick one, and then once you get there, seek out some graduate students in groups that do what you are interested in, and then choose :)

Likes Luke Velie
The thought of experimental research interests me more, however I believe that applications are just as important and interesting. I guess this is when I need to look more into both. Thank you :D.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you, except I will be starting my undergraduate education in physics this fall. From the information I have collected, plasma physics is the way to go if you what to do research on fusion. At the present time, fusion is still in the research phase, and so most, if not all, nuclear engineering programs will focus solely on nuclear fission reactors.

bentleyghioda said:
I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you, except I will be starting my undergraduate education in physics this fall. From the information I have collected, plasma physics is the way to go if you what to do research on fusion. At the present time, fusion is still in the research phase, and so most, if not all, nuclear engineering programs will focus solely on nuclear fission reactors.
Right, and that’s largely the conclusion I’ve come to as well; almost everything I’ve heard has been “as a nuclear engineer you’ll most likely figure out ways to dispose of nuclear waste” etc. For this reason and others, I’ve been more drawn into physics. However, if my coaches of actually getting to work with fusion are on the lower side (would they be?), what would I do with a physics degree?

What is fusion and why is it important?

Fusion is a nuclear reaction in which two or more atomic nuclei collide and merge to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy. It is important because it has the potential to provide a virtually limitless source of clean energy for the future.

What are the most promising majors for a career in fusion?

The most promising majors for a career in fusion include physics, engineering, and materials science. These disciplines provide the necessary knowledge and skills to understand and develop fusion technology.

What skills are needed for a career in fusion?

Some of the key skills needed for a career in fusion include strong mathematical and analytical skills, critical thinking, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work in a team. Additionally, a strong understanding of nuclear physics and engineering principles is also essential.

What types of jobs are available in the field of fusion?

There are various types of jobs available in the field of fusion, including research scientists, engineers, project managers, technicians, and support staff. These roles can be found in government agencies, national laboratories, universities, and private companies working on fusion research and development.

What are the current challenges in fusion research?

Some of the current challenges in fusion research include achieving and sustaining the high temperatures and pressures necessary for fusion reactions, finding suitable materials to contain and control the plasma, and developing efficient methods for extracting and storing the energy produced. Collaborative efforts and advances in technology are being made to overcome these challenges and make fusion energy a viable option for the future.