1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What makes an engineering program good?

1. Jun 14, 2014 #1
    I am 2nd year student transferring into computer engineering at a university in NC. I saw on the US News rankings that their engineering program was at the bottom of the rankings but still ranked nonetheless.

Their facilities are up-to-date. What exactly makes an engineering program good or bad?

The classes in the computer engineering program are:
    -------------------------------------------
    Intro to Engineering Practices and Principles I

Introduction to Engineering Practices and Principles II

Computer Utilization in C++

Computer Engineering Programming II

Network Theory I and II

Instrumentation and Networks Laboratory

Logic Systems Design I and II

Logic and Networks Laboratory

Signals and Systems

Fundamentals of Electronics and Semiconductors

Systems and Electronics Lab

Computer Organization

Digital Design Lab

Data Communications and Networking

Electronics

Embedded Systems

Intro to VHDL

Digital Signal Processing

And of course there are the physics, chem, liberal studies, professional ethics type classes, calculus, diff equations, stats, econ, depth and science electives, and senior design 1 and 2.
    -------------------------------------------
    All input is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2014 #2
    Much of the reputation a university earns lies in the staff. A modern facility and the right classes is all fine and dandy, but if the teachers lack experience, the program will perform badly; graduates will not be hired

4. Jun 14, 2014 #3
    Internships are very important. The more access your program gives you to internships the better. If your program doesn't organize internships for students that is a red flag.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook