1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

From B.S. in Physics, what engineering program available? (realistically)

1. Jan 9, 2013 #1
    If one has a B.S. in Physics with research experience involving lab work, data analysis, and programming, what kinds of engineering programs are available?

I know that Optical Engineering is a program that one would have a good chance of getting into with a Physics degree but what about others? This is assuming little to no classes were taken in engineering discipline (ie. Circuit Design was not taken and you're applying for Electrical Engineering).

Is getting into an EE program out of the question given that there are already so many EE degree holders applying?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2013 #2
    I've looked into some of the options here, but definitely not everything. I would guess that (besides maybe optics) materials science and engineering would be the easiest transfer, especially if you have had some chemistry. At least almost every materials science graduate program website says a degree in physics is acceptable preparation. Another one that often says physics is acceptable preparation is biomedical engineering. Both of these disciplines are fairly interdisciplinary and could involve a decent amount of physics.

4. Feb 7, 2013 #3
    Re: From B.S. in Physics, what engineering program available? (realist

Does anyone have any knowledge on how accepting Materials Science are of Physics majors?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. Feb 7, 2013 #4

From information I've gathered from talking with people, both in person and on the internet, going into almost any engineering degree should be possible, although you MAY need to take some "bridge classes" before you finish up your BSc.

At some universities, an electronics course is mandatory, which is sort of an intro EE course.

6. Feb 8, 2013 #5

I know people who've done math degrees and got into EE masters programs.
    A common thing for physics major to do is go into nuclear engineering masters programs.
    Material Science is also a field where a lot of physics majors enter into.

7. Feb 8, 2013 #6

Electronics is at least a junior level course; mandatory intro course for EE's are signals and systems and circuit analysis.

8. Feb 8, 2013 #7

Usually quite. And EE depts are usually friendly to physicists although you might have to take a couple of remedial classes. When I was in grad school several of my cohort had physics undergraduate degrees.

Depending on your subfield you may be MORE prepared for EE grad school than a typical EE undergrad. If you do something like solid-state electronics or quantum computing you're probably well prepared already. (again with a couple of undergrad classes while you're a grad student)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook