1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is an australian engineering program so underrated.

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    why are australian engineering program so underrated.

I just did a year in an Australian university for a study abroad program and found it much harder than what I was exposed to in Purdue. Some things I noted was the following:

- no freshman engineering a lot of the second year ECE courses are taught from first year (EE201 and EE202 taught as a first semester course)
    - their math courses are combined with linear algebra, complex analysis and DEQ for the first year of mathematics
    - With less deadlines they concentrate on solving a variety of problems in their own time
    - the final is worth 75-80% of their final grade, a very traditional method which I'm not very fond of - but cramming becomes obsolete as its impossible to cram 14 weeks of material into a couple of days before the final
    - 3 hr labs ?!?

heres a sample look at their program:

My question is - why are Australian engineering programs so underrated? To be brutally honest I chose the college based on its location - near the city and 20 minutes to a beach, and that it was rated the top engineering college in the Country. Why isn't it ranked higher when compared to other colleges?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2
    Wow, excellent choice of courses available. I wish I had some of those courses available to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?