What makes sure chaperonins fold correctly?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: Chaperonins are proteins that assist with the proper folding and unfolding of other proteins. There are many different types of chaperonins, and it is unclear what would make sure that chaperonins of chaperonins would fold correctly. However, research has not yet found any examples of chaperonins that are themselves misfolded.
gravenewworld
Disease states such as AZ and Huntington's are thought to be related to amyloid plaques resulting from proteins that are misfolded. Chaperonins assist to make sure proteins fold correctly as well as unzip misfolded proteins to give them a second chance at folding properly. So my question is this, what makes sure that the chaperonins themselves fold correctly? Are there chaperonins of chaperonins? If so, what would make sure chaperonins of chaperonins fold correctly (of course you could keep continuing this logic)? Rather than studying the misfolding and polymerization of misfolded proteins that lead to amyloids, has anyone done research on whether or not the chaperonins that are supposed to be regulating the misguided protein folding are themselves misfolded?

Biology news on Phys.org
Amyloids that result in amyloidosis are often the result of mutated proteins, which changes their primary structure and thus subsequent structures.

Many chaperones aren't actually "refolding" proteins, rather hydrolyzing bonds and allowing them a chance "refold" on their own--Such as protein disulfide isomerases.

Lots of large cytoplasmic chaperones are multimeric in constitution and it seems plausible to me that individual subunits would require (sometimes at least) the aid of already folded chaperones. However, I think that is a simple way of looking at it, not all proteins require chaperones to fold and even ones that do don't always need a chaperone all the time.

Both diseases you list are complex diseases that have a host of other affecting factors that can cause protein precipitation. Huntington's, while were not sure what exactly the protein does (at least, I believe it still hasn't been discovered yet), we do know the genetics that effect the protein--It is from CAG repeats expressed in the gene. Like other expanded triplet nucleotide disease it shows genetic anticipation--Becoming worse in subsequent generations in both age of onset and disease severity (well with Huntington's its always severe as death is the result, I guess dying younger would be "more severe"). Anyway, the point here is like other TNR diseases the introduction of more repeats is what causes the dysfunctional proteins, something a chaperon wouldn't be able to correct.

Like Bobze said, many proteins do not need chaperones at all in order to correctly fold into their shape. And some chaperones are involved in their own assembly.

So there are no examples of misfolded chaperonins that cause the proteins that they chaperon to misfold? (sort of like a chicken or egg game I'm playing with myself I suppose)

Thanks for the replies.

gravenewworld said:
So there are no examples of misfolded chaperonins that cause the proteins that they chaperon to misfold? (sort of like a chicken or egg game I'm playing with myself I suppose)

Thanks for the replies.

A google search showed an interesting result.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1756852

I read a few papers and there are actually many types of chaperonins. Some chaperonins likely help fold other chaperonins. Proteins do not always misfold, so there is a good chance that a chaperonin class could aid in its own folding.

Its a good question - what can happen if chaperonins pick up some kind of mutation which makes them overactive. Chaperonins are important in maintaining highly mutated proteins, and there are studies which show that cancer lines tend to pick up chaperonin overexpression in order to compensate for their higher mutation levels.

antonima said:
Its a good question - what can happen if chaperonins pick up some kind of mutation which makes them overactive. Chaperonins are important in maintaining highly mutated proteins...

Right. Chaperones are therefore also said to have a buffering mechanism that dampens the effect of rapid genetic variation due to mutation, although it may not always be due to the stabilization of the protein in question.

antonima said:
...and there are studies which show that cancer lines tend to pick up chaperonin overexpression in order to compensate for their higher mutation levels.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15077153

1. What are chaperonins and why are they important in protein folding?

Chaperonins are a class of proteins that assist in the folding of other proteins. They are important because proper protein folding is essential for their correct function and any errors in folding can lead to diseases and disorders.

2. How do chaperonins ensure correct protein folding?

Chaperonins create a protective environment for the newly synthesized protein to fold in, shielding it from any external factors that may disrupt the folding process. They also use ATP energy to assist in the folding process and prevent misfolding.

3. What are some common disorders caused by incorrect protein folding?

Some common disorders caused by incorrect protein folding include Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, cystic fibrosis, and sickle cell anemia.

4. Can chaperonins fix misfolded proteins?

Yes, chaperonins can help fix misfolded proteins by unfolding and refolding them correctly. However, if the misfolding is too severe, the protein may need to be degraded and recycled by the cell.

5. Are chaperonins present in all organisms?

Yes, chaperonins are present in all organisms, from bacteria to humans. This highlights their crucial role in maintaining proper protein folding and function in all living organisms.