What Makes the Tiki Bar the Favorite Lounge for Members?

• Thread starter SOS2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary: Ummm, I love chicken enchiladas. When do you think it'll be ready? :tongue2:About an hour, come on over. Bring drinks. :tongue2:The Entertainment has a pretty good rack.Welcome to one of the favorite PF lounges--the Tiki Bar (moved from Philosophy to the new location in General Discussion). At the Tiki Bar members can enjoy exotic drinks and great entertainment. The Tiki Bar also offers fine dining or simply relax on the veranda and enjoy the view. Of course the favorite activity of all at the Tiki Bar is the comment box. We like to hear what members are thinking, so
zanazzi78 said:
I think that car will struggle on the flat in a head wind, never mind a snowy mountain pass :smile:

In the old east germany people put away their good cars in the winter and
use their trabants, great cars in the snow, and i think you only need two
or three spanners to strip them down, but drivers of these cars are all ways
accelerating or stopping, no in between. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
The CR-V is definitely not my style. I don't think BMWs and Audis fit my budget, especially for driving around an area where I know I'm going to beat the crap out of the car with rough road conditions. Back to Subaru I guess. A good front-wheel drive car with a slightly bigger engine might do the trick too, just something with enough power to it to maintain speed uphill.
Honda does make a 4WD Accord sedan, but I don't know if it is available in the US. You might check with a local Honda dealer. The price is probably competitive with Subaru.

Astronuc said:
Honda does make a 4WD Accord sedan, but I don't know if it is available in the US. You might check with a local Honda dealer. The price is probably competitive with Subaru.

Cool, I'll have to check that out!

wolram said:

:smile: I guess the idea is you don't care if it gets stuck in the snow because you can just get out and push it the rest of the way? :smile:

I've never heard of a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO VIII, but I know very little of what Mitsubishi makes. I'm not even sure where there's a dealer for them (though I suppose I can ask my new neighbor once I move in :biggrin:...maybe he'll get me a good deal if he's single and I flirt a lot :wink:). I'll see what it is and if it's something I'd go for. I tend to prefer compact cars/sedans. While lots of people around there own SUVs, I've also known people who've rolled SUVs on icy roads, plus they're just so big! I prefer being closer to the ground and not needing a step ladder to climb in! :biggrin:

Here you go, the perfect car for driving in the snow.
snow_monster2.jpg

http://www.moller.com/skycar/m400/

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Here you go, the perfect car for driving in the snow.
snow_monster2.jpg
:smile: It doesn't look like it comes with a heater though. :rolleyes:

I just looked up the cars folks here suggested. I don't see anything about AWD for Honda Accord sedans, no matter what trim level I look up. So that might not be available in the US.

The Mitsubishi Lancer is really cute! Though, it doesn't have an automatic transmission (I've never driven stick and don't plan to learn on mountain roads! ). You don't need to get the Evolution VIII trim model for AWD though. Their RS trim model is cheaper and has it too...just in case anyone else wants to know. Pretty expensive too.

The Subaru Impreza looks like the adorable Subaru I saw on the roads a lot in WV. I wasn't sure if that model would come with AWD because it was just too cute! But it does. That's more my style, compact and sporty. I did pass the Subaru dealer when driving around, so I know where to find them, and my new boss owns three Subarus, so I suspect he can give me some advice about what price to haggle for. But only 28 mpg highway driving on the automatic. :frown: Well, I guess that's the trade-off. Still a lot better than an SUV monster. I probably shouldn't get that one in red, that'll attract too many cops. :rolleyes: I'll have to test drive one once I get there and can see if it'll zoom up mountains with the a/c on full blast. :biggrin: I hope the salesman/woman has nerves of steel, because I'm not going on a nice easy test drive; I'm going to push the limits to find out what the car will do!

TheStatutoryApe said:
http://www.moller.com/skycar/m400/
:smile: I need a hovercraft! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest a helicopter then, but icing of the blades in winter could be a problem. Why drive when you can fly?

I went to concert Thursday night at the House of Blues in San Diego. The group Led ZepAgain (Zeppelin knock-off)was playing and they were very good. Sounded like Led Zeppelin live - and it was loud.

Friday, I started the day by spilling coffee in my lap when I got into the car. I stupidly held the cup by top, and the plastic lid popped off and the cup collapsed, with coffee spilling on my lap, the car seat and steering wheel. :biggrin: But the day went by smoothly.

This morning I got up at 0530, rendezvoused with a friend at 0630, and I did a hike this morning from 1100 ft (335 m) to 2700 ft (823 m) on Iron Mountain (east of San Diego, CA) over 2.8 miles in about 1 hr. The temperature was about 80F when we began and in the low 90's when we returned to 1100 ft. I was tempted to do it a second time, but didn't have enough water (I actually prefer Gatorade when doing such hikes). Next time perhaps.

This evening I read
On August 6, 2005 former UK Foreign Secretary Robin Cook died after collapsing with a heart attack while climbing Ben Stack.

Not particularly high (2365ft/721m) but giving splendid views in every direction, Ben Stack is a wonderful little cone-shaped mountain at the north west end of Loch More.
:frown: My condolensces to his family and friends.

As people get into their 50's, it is a good idea to have an annual medical exam (check up) and if one has been rather sedentary, a cardiac stress test and maybe an EKG are perhaps advisable.

Last edited:
I'm tired...

yomamma said:
I'm tired...
It shows.

I need a drink or a few, actually several.

I have to get a haircut during the next week. My long hair has been deemed - 'unrespectable' - by our VP/group manager. I don't fit the image. He didn't like the offer of a bandana or ponytail. :biggrin:

Imagine, me not looking 'respectable' :biggrin:

So it's time to look for a new job where I can let my hair down. :biggrin:

Oh, yeah - the VP also took me out with his truck (4x4). Parked on an incline, he forgot that he had not set the parking brake. I was putting something in the middle seat when he put the clutch in. I moved my leg a step back just as the rear wheel rolled past me. Had I not moved, he would have destroyed my left leg, and possibly injured my right. :rolleyes:

He was a little distressed. He said he had nighmares a few days later.

I was pleased that I was not injured. :cool:

I would like 4 Green Apple Martinis, please. Just line them up in front of me a stand back because it won't be long before I fall over. :biggrin:

One is to celebrate SA's birthday, and the rest are for ME! :biggrin: (Cuz this week has sucked ).

Tsu said:
I would like 4 Green Apple Martinis, please. Just line them up in front of me a stand back because it won't be long before I fall over. :biggrin:

One is to celebrate SA's birthday, and the rest are for ME! :biggrin: (Cuz this week has sucked ).
Lines up four double green apple martinis. What's wrong sis?

Tsu said:

I'm sorry, Tsu! :frown:
Hey, I put your birthday card in the mail today. That way you can start celebrating early! :smile:

Evo said:
Lines up four double green apple martinis. What's wrong sis?

Bless your sweet face, sis. Just a crumby week. Boring at work and Ivan's mom just got out of the hospital after ANOTHER week+ of BS pain management. I just don't like the way her post-op course has gone. We're both pretty stressed out.

Maybe I could get Integral and Derivative to take me out and get me smashed this weekend. :biggrin: Ivan would like that... :devil: :biggrin:

Or I could just go out with my work pal and his wife tonight...

Math Is Hard said:
I'm sorry, Tsu! :frown:
Hey, I put your birthday card in the mail today. That way you can start celebrating early! :smile:

Thanks, sweetie! I have the BEST sisters... :biggrin: :!) :!) :!)

Tsu said:
Bless your sweet face, sis. Just a crumby week. Boring at work and Ivan's mom just got out of the hospital after ANOTHER week+ of BS pain management. I just don't like the way her post-op course has gone. We're both pretty stressed out.
I know it's hard to be on the side watching that. I feel so bad for her. :frown:

You are authorized to go out and do whatever you want. Take the RV, that way I know you'll be safe. :-p

Evo said:
I know it's hard to be on the side watching that. I feel so bad for her. :frown:
Me, too. :cry: :cry: :cry:

You are authorized to go out and do whatever you want. Take the RV, that way I know you'll be safe. :-p
Thanks. I don't care WHAT Mom says. You're the best and I love you. :biggrin: :approve: :!) I'll drink a martini for YOU! :biggrin:

Tsu said:
Thanks. I don't care WHAT Mom says. You're the best and I love you. :biggrin: :approve: :!) I'll drink a martini for YOU! :biggrin:
I'm in need of some serious backhair braiding. Can you swing by in the RV? :blushing:

Mabe we shud giv it a day or2. i thnk I've had one two mny. mabe *hic opps

gnite

Tsu said:

Maybe I could get Integral and Derivative to take me out and get me smashed this weekend. :biggrin: Ivan would like that... :devil: :biggrin:

Or I could just go out with my work pal and his wife tonight...

Maybe you should take the green apple martini fixin's to Ivan's mom's place and drink them with her. That might help with pain management for the both of you. :biggrin:

GREAT idea, Moonbear! :biggrin:

On the other hand... she IS on two or three different doses/types of morphine. If I gave her a green apple martini, she might forget to BREATHE! :bugeye: :smile: :smile:

Why don't you hop into the RV and come with me to Evo's for some hair braiding. :biggrin:

MATH!111 Hair braiding at Evo's today! Any other ladies care do join us? SOS? hypatia? honestrosewater? C'MON SISTERS!11 It's PARTY TIME! :biggrin:

Hi, I'm new here!
Fetch me an Irish coffee someone, please..:smile:

arildno said:
Hi, I'm new here!
Fetch me an Irish coffee someone, please..:smile:

Its a HEN party Arild, best stay away unless you want your hair curled.

wolram said:
Eeek!

Flees from the wrath of all the vaginae dentatae around here..

wolram said:

BRAIDED! NOT CURLED! Geez... MEN! :smile:

Here's your Irish Coffee, Arildno. :smile: Would you braid my hair, please? :biggrin:

Are you toothless?

Noo.. But I don't chew on anything AND - I don't pee on the rug, either. :smile:

Ookay, I'll chance it, then.

Grabs the Irish coffee from Tsu and runs and hides beneath a rug

I once had to fix a light where a HEN party was in full swing, lucky old you, you
blokes may say, cobblers says i ,another second and i would have been in the cauldron.

Relax! I don't bite, either! Get yer buns out from under that rug and get started on my hair. If you're going to hang with the Sisters of PF, you'd better practice up on your braiding techniques. One of my guy friends was a TERRIFIC braider. Poor thing had a real identity problem growing up in a house full of women, tho. He could never figure out if they wanted him to streak their hair or work on their car! :smile: :smile:

arildno said:
Ookay, I'll chance it, then.

Grabs the Irish coffee from Tsu and runs and hides beneath a rug

Who left this lumpy old rug in here? *Stomps on rug to flatten it* Hmm...that didn't work. Well, maybe we should just move this heavy sofa on top of it to see if that will flatten it down a bit, or at least keep anyone from tripping over the rug.

wolram said:
I once had to fix a light where a HEN party was in full swing, lucky old you, you
blokes may say, cobblers says i ,another second and i would have been in the cauldron.

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Watch yourself wolram. WE have a cauldron, too... :smile: :smile:

Tsu said:
Relax! I don't bite, either! Get yer buns out from under that rug and get started on my hair. If you're going to hang with the Sisters of PF, you'd better practice up on your braiding techniques. One of my guy friends was a TERRIFIC braider. Poor thing had a real identity problem growing up in a house full of women, tho. He could never figure out if they wanted him to streak their hair or work on their car! :smile: :smile:
Hey, that's not nice, stereotyping the gay guy and just assuming he'd be the best hairdresser of the bunch! :rolleyes: :biggrin: I want a straight guy to play with my hair. :approve:

You b*tch!
I wasn't finished with my Irish Coffee, and now, besides hurting all over, I'm covered in cream, coffee, whisky and *cough* a lot of dust from that stupid old rug.

Limps out of this horrid place as fast as he can..

Back