What math do I need for undergraduate level physics?

In summary: I would also add probability and statistics, and possibly a numerical analysis course, as being very useful to have. These will be very helpful even if you end up in engineering. In summary, the key math courses to successfully pursue a degree in physics or engineering are calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, probability and statistics, and possibly numerical analysis. These will also give you a good foundation if you decide to pursue an advanced degree in physics.
Tynezz
Hey!
In the future, I want to specialize in something like nuclear physics, plasma physics and/or high energy physics.

I'm not going to major in physics and will major in engineering but physics interests me, so I'd like to self study!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tynezz said:
Hey!
In the future, I want to specialize in something like nuclear physics, plasma physics and/or high energy physics.

I'm not going to major in physics and will major in engineering but physics interests me, so I'd like to self study!
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Your two paragraphs are contradictory, IMO. Why not major in physics if that is where you want top end up later? What jobs do you think you want to be working in 5-10 years after you earn your BS? Are you planning on going to graduate school?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Your two paragraphs are contradictory, IMO. Why not major in physics if that is where you want top end up later? What jobs do you think you want to be working in 5-10 years after you earn your BS? Are you planning on going to graduate school?

I don't know what I'll be majoring in, to be honest, I'm just looking for the math so it's much easier to just pick x and major into that without any sort of hassle.

Tynezz said:
Hey!

Tynezz said:
I don't know what I'll be majoring in, to be honest, I'm just looking for the math so it's much easier to just pick x and major into that without any sort of hassle.
Engineering could be the major field to choose. The common Mathematics requirement typical for Engineering and Physics major-field students would be Calculus 1,2,3, and a watered-down course combining linear algebra and differential equations. You would want MORE AND BETTER than just that to ensure the best success in either Engineering, or Physics, or whatever else is near to these major fields.

Understand, a degree in Engineering will include a certain prescribed minimum of Physics courses. If you are expecting later to do something in Physics, then,...,... .

It would be helpful to know what level of math you are at right now.

For introductory university-level physics, you need algebra, trigonometry, pre-calculus and some calculus (basic derivatives and integrals).

For upper-level university physics, it depends on the particular subject, but as a minimum you will also need calculus through multivariable calculus (vector calculus), ordinary differential equations, and some linear algebra. More specialized math topics are often introduced in physics courses that require them, or you can use one of the books that berkeman linked to. Boas (as per JoePhysics) is commonly used and is often discussed here.

If you want to get into any advanced physics with any depth, you'll be needing the entirety of Calculus (up through multivariable and vector calculus whether it be Calc 3 or 4 for your school), plus differential equations and linear algebra. A statistics class could also be particularly useful (especially for the subjects you mentioned), though the necessary statistics concepts are usually covered in the relevant texts I find.

Multivariable calculus and linear algebra, as mentioned, will get you through an undergraduate Physics program. Abstract algebra, and real and complex analysis will tell you whether you want to pursue an advanced Physics degree.

Stuschreib said:
Multivariable calculus and linear algebra, as mentioned, will get you through an undergraduate Physics program. Abstract algebra, and real and complex analysis will tell you whether you want to pursue an advanced Physics degree.
Other than multivariable calculus and linear algebra, I would certainly add differential equations, both ordinary as well as partial, as required to go through a typical undergraduate physics program.

1. What math courses should I take in high school to prepare for undergraduate level physics?

To prepare for undergraduate level physics, it is recommended to take courses in algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. These courses will provide a strong foundation in the necessary math skills for physics.

2. Do I need to be good at math to study physics at the undergraduate level?

While a strong foundation in math is important for studying physics, it is not necessary to be a math prodigy to succeed in the subject. With dedication and hard work, anyone can improve their math skills and excel in undergraduate physics courses.

3. Is calculus required for undergraduate level physics?

Yes, calculus is a fundamental component of undergraduate level physics. Many concepts in physics, such as motion and forces, are described using calculus. It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus in order to fully comprehend these concepts.

4. What is the difference between algebra-based and calculus-based physics?

Algebra-based physics focuses on using algebraic equations to solve problems, while calculus-based physics uses calculus concepts to derive equations and solve more complex problems. Most undergraduate physics courses are calculus-based, as it provides a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. Can I learn the necessary math skills for undergraduate physics on my own?

While it is possible to self-study the necessary math skills for undergraduate physics, it is recommended to take formal courses in algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. These courses will provide a structured and comprehensive approach to learning and mastering the math skills needed for physics.