Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What math symbol would I use for never equal to

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    What math symbol would I use for "never equal to"

alright so I know that [tex]1\neq 2[/tex] means that "1 is not equal to 2" right?

so could I say that [tex]e^x\neq 0[/tex]. Would this mean that e^x is never equal to 0? I know it seems small, but it confuses me a bit.

also what would I say if I had a function of another function, where the first function is not true if the second function is equal to some value, if that makes any sense.

Like if I said [tex]f(g(x))\neq 0 , g(x)=k[/tex] would that be saying that f(g(x) is not equal to zero as long as g(x) is equal to some number?

I've tried searching this and am just really confused. I have to start learning this stuff because my homework is slowly getting filled with all of these upside down v's and backwards E and stuff!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2
    Re: What math symbol would I use for "never equal to"

That seems right for the first one. For the second one try:
    [itex]g(x) = k \Rightarrow f(g(x)) \neq 0[/itex] or [itex]f(g(x)) \neq 0[/itex] whenever [itex]g(x) = k[/itex].

4. Oct 20, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For the first one, you could use a qualifier, "for all."

## \forall x \in \mathbb{R}, e^x > 0##

The upside-down A means "for any," "for all," or "for each." I wrote ex > 0 rather than ex ≠ 0 to be more specific.

5. Oct 20, 2012 #4

thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook