What math symbol would I use for never equal to

• Thread starter richyw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the math symbol for "never equal to" is \neq and can be used to express that two quantities are not equal. For example, 1\neq 2 means "1 is not equal to 2." This can also be applied to functions, such as e^x\neq 0 meaning that e^x is never equal to 0. Additionally, a function of another function can be expressed as f(g(x))\neq 0, where g(x) = k means that f(g(x)) is not equal to 0 as long as g(x) is equal to some number. The upside-down A symbol represents "for all" or "for each" and can be used
richyw
What math symbol would I use for "never equal to"

alright so I know that [tex]1\neq 2[/tex] means that "1 is not equal to 2" right?

so could I say that [tex]e^x\neq 0[/tex]. Would this mean that e^x is never equal to 0? I know it seems small, but it confuses me a bit.

also what would I say if I had a function of another function, where the first function is not true if the second function is equal to some value, if that makes any sense.

Like if I said [tex]f(g(x))\neq 0 , g(x)=k[/tex] would that be saying that f(g(x) is not equal to zero as long as g(x) is equal to some number?

I've tried searching this and am just really confused. I have to start learning this stuff because my homework is slowly getting filled with all of these upside down v's and backwards E and stuff!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

That seems right for the first one. For the second one try:
[itex]g(x) = k \Rightarrow f(g(x)) \neq 0[/itex] or [itex]f(g(x)) \neq 0[/itex] whenever [itex]g(x) = k[/itex].

For the first one, you could use a qualifier, "for all."

## \forall x \in \mathbb{R}, e^x > 0##

The upside-down A means "for any," "for all," or "for each." I wrote ex > 0 rather than ex ≠ 0 to be more specific.

thanks a lot!

I would recommend using the "not equal to" symbol, which is ≠. This symbol means that two quantities are not equal to each other. So in the first example, e^x ≠ 0 means that e^x is never equal to 0.

In the second example, f(g(x)) ≠ 0, g(x) = k, means that the function f is not equal to 0 when g(x) is equal to some value k. Essentially, g(x) = k is a condition or criteria for when the function f is not equal to 0.

I understand that mathematical symbols can be confusing and overwhelming, but with practice and guidance, they become easier to understand. Keep learning and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.

1. What is the symbol for "never equal to" in math?

The symbol for "never equal to" or "not equal to" in math is ≠ (not equal sign). This symbol is used to show that two quantities or expressions are not equal to each other.

2. Can the "not equal to" symbol be used in different types of equations?

Yes, the "not equal to" symbol can be used in various types of equations, including algebraic equations, geometric equations, and statistical equations. It is a universal symbol used to represent inequality between two quantities.

3. Is the "not equal to" symbol the same as the "less than" or "greater than" symbol?

No, the "not equal to" symbol is not the same as the "less than" (<) or "greater than" (>) symbol. These symbols represent relative size or value, whereas the "not equal to" symbol represents inequality between two quantities.

4. Can the "not equal to" symbol be used in place of the equal sign (=) in equations?

No, the "not equal to" symbol cannot be used in place of the equal sign (=) in equations. The equal sign represents equality, while the "not equal to" symbol represents inequality. Using the wrong symbol can change the meaning of the equation.

5. How is the "not equal to" symbol read or pronounced?

The "not equal to" symbol (≠) is read or pronounced as "not equal to" or "is not equal to." This helps to clarify the meaning of the symbol and its use in equations or mathematical expressions.