1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What math symbol would I use for never equal to

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    What math symbol would I use for "never equal to"

alright so I know that [tex]1\neq 2[/tex] means that "1 is not equal to 2" right?

so could I say that [tex]e^x\neq 0[/tex]. Would this mean that e^x is never equal to 0? I know it seems small, but it confuses me a bit.

also what would I say if I had a function of another function, where the first function is not true if the second function is equal to some value, if that makes any sense.

Like if I said [tex]f(g(x))\neq 0 , g(x)=k[/tex] would that be saying that f(g(x) is not equal to zero as long as g(x) is equal to some number?

I've tried searching this and am just really confused. I have to start learning this stuff because my homework is slowly getting filled with all of these upside down v's and backwards E and stuff!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2
    Re: What math symbol would I use for "never equal to"

That seems right for the first one. For the second one try:
    [itex]g(x) = k \Rightarrow f(g(x)) \neq 0[/itex] or [itex]f(g(x)) \neq 0[/itex] whenever [itex]g(x) = k[/itex].

4. Oct 20, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For the first one, you could use a qualifier, "for all."

## \forall x \in \mathbb{R}, e^x > 0##

The upside-down A means "for any," "for all," or "for each." I wrote ex > 0 rather than ex ≠ 0 to be more specific.

5. Oct 20, 2012 #4

thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook