1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other What mathematics programs will I use during my education?

1. May 5, 2016 #1
    I'm currently building a PC and I want to buy components that will be able to support whatever programs/software I will be using while getting my degree. I'm going to be starting the physics program at my university this fall so I don't really know what my professors will be having me using/suggest using. I figured I would just be sticking with Mathematica for calculations but I was hoping you guys could tell me some programs you guys used to give me an idea of what to expect. Thank you all!

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2016 #2
    Generally speaking, as long as you have a PC that is reasonably capable of doing everyday things, it will be fine for Mathematica/Matlab, which are the main tools used by physics majors, at least in my experience. You will probably add some additional programs on along the way, but most of these will be pretty lightweight I'd figure. There are always exceptions, especially if you choose to do research (you may want some more powerful software for simulations and such), but the typical physics major doesn't need a computer with any special thingies.

4. May 6, 2016 #3
    I highly recommend Scientific Notebook. I've been using it for 2.5 years. Once you get really fast with it, you can type math as you go rather than type it after the fact, like with slow LaTex.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted