What Metal is in the Unknown Sulfate Sample from the Precipitate Lab?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sn1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ap chemistry Lab
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
sn1

Homework Statement


I have a percipitate lab.
We have an unknown sulfate powder that we mixed with water and then added Barium Nitrate in order to get the sulfate out of the mix. The entire sulfate, nitrate mixture was mixed with HCl to make the particles bigger and then it was heated for flocculation. I filtered out the percipitate and got it's mass, as well as the volume of the new nitrate solution. Right now the equation is looking like:

Homework Equations


XSO4 +Ba(NO3)2 --> XNO3 +BaSO4

The Attempt at a Solution


I was thinking of using mass percents
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't hurt if you told us what for you want to use these mass percentages.

In other words: you have described the procedure, but you have not explained what was the aim of the experiment.
 
Do you know the mass of the original sulfate powder? With that information and the mass of the precipitate, you can calculate the molar mass of element X by simple stoichiometry.
 
hilbert2 said:
Do you know the mass of the original sulfate powder? With that information and the mass of the precipitate, you can calculate the molar mass of element X by simple stoichiometry.
Yes I have the mass of the original sulfate powder. I tried my best to get it as close to 1gram as possible, and there is about 24.88mL of the barium nitrate (because its concentration level we calculated how much we needed in order to make the best possible reaction). We then added 1 mL of HCl, and heated it in order to make the precipitate particles as large as possible.

Your idea is what I thought should be done, but got a bit confused because so much is happening within the lab. Thank you!