What music do Physicists listen to?

In summary: I enjoy playing it, but I'm not very good at it.Thanks for the input!In summary, physicists listen to a variety of music, including classical, black metal, and modern rock. They also enjoy playing the guitar.
vorcil
What are some songs that physicists listen to?

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Aug06/physics.music.html" Richard Feynman playing bongos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKTSaezB4p8

I like classical songs, without sings/voice
Piano, classical guitaring ect..

I also like black metal, as it includes very skilled guitar solos and the good bands I've found do not have voice/singing in them (as opposed to that very angry death metal which is full of grunts and screaming... no thank you.

What kind of Piano songs do you guys listen to?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
TheStatutoryApe said:
http://www.uky.edu/~holler/CHE107/media/first_second_law.mp3 by Flanders and Swann. (direct link to mp3 download)

And more awesome songs...
http://www.haverford.edu/physics/songs/links.html

LOL
That's hilarious
thanks

vorcil said:
LOL
That's hilarious
thanks

No problem. :smile:
I always like to share that one.

Doppler Shifting by The Chromatics is also a fun one.

My physicist neighbor listens to that annoying song from Chumbawamba, Tubthumping.

Thanks
Matt

Hmmmm... there seems to be a correlation between finger dexterity and math/physics considering that many Mathematicians and Physicists play instruments like the piano.

CFDFEAGURU said:
My physicist neighbor listens to that annoying song from Chumbawamba, Tubthumping.

Thanks
Matt

Oh Gawd

Don't forget this one.

Monty Python's The Galaxy Song

http://www.gecdsb.on.ca/d&g/astro/music/Galaxy_Song.html"

I guess that would be more for Astronomers, but it's a good song and it seems to be quite accurate.

I listen to a lot of Bob Dylan/ other acoustic folk.

Also, I will listen to select bands from "modern" (90's-2000's) rock.

Whatever music a particular individual physicist wants to listen to...

Wecome to the Machine by Pink Floyd

I play lots of amateur classical music (as those who've seen my "music room" in a recent Photo Contest thread might have guessed), mostly as a pianist and violinist (in orchestras and smaller groups like piano trios and quartets), and listen to the same. My favourites include Rachmaninov's second piano concerto and Bruch's 1st violin concerto (I've been "rehearsal soloist" with orchestra in both, although I haven't performed them in public).

I love "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" but my favorite is the version of Comfortably Numb on Pulse. That is the best guitar solo ever. I think I lost part of hearing because of that one. LOL

Thanks
Matt

<---- David Gilmour (from Pink Floyd) in my Av

damn, maybe physicists can be stereotyped after all.

Welcome to the Forum, David.

Loren Booda said:
Welcome to the Forum, David.

Thank you, I hope you don't mind that I'm fat and bald now from years of heroin use.

As long as you can whale on that gutiar David, we don't mind.

CFDFEAGURU said:
As long as you can whale on that gutiar David, we don't mind.

Three half-step bends, ghost bends, immaculate wah-wah pedal precision. I still got it.

I listen primarily to metal, especially death metal and folk metal. But, I enjoy almost everything, even stuff like Soulja Boy (I think it's hilarious) and Tila Tequila (also hilarious). It's a goal of mine to go to a concert of every major genre/subgenre of music, though I still have quite a while to go. Thus far, though, I've had the most fun at death metal shows.

And since everyone else is saying it, I guess I'll mention Pink Floyd specifically :P Oh, I also play the guitar like several other people in this thread.

1. What is the connection between physics and music?

There are several connections between physics and music. One is the study of sound and how it travels through different mediums. Another is the mathematical principles behind music, such as frequency and wavelength. Additionally, many physicists appreciate music for its ability to express complex emotions and ideas.

2. Do physicists have a preference for a certain genre of music?

There is no specific genre of music that physicists listen to, as music taste is subjective and varies from person to person. However, some physicists may appreciate more complex and intricate music, as it aligns with their analytical and detail-oriented thinking.

3. Is there any evidence that listening to music can improve a physicist's work?

There have been studies that suggest listening to music can improve cognitive function and creativity, which could potentially benefit a physicist's work. However, this can vary for each individual and may not apply to all physicists.

4. Are there any famous physicists who were also musicians?

Yes, there are several famous physicists who were also skilled musicians. For example, Albert Einstein was an accomplished violinist and Richard Feynman played the bongos. It is believed that their musical talents may have influenced their scientific thinking and creativity.

5. Are there any specific songs or pieces of music that are popular among physicists?

There is no specific song or piece of music that is universally popular among physicists. However, some physicists may enjoy listening to classical music, as it often incorporates mathematical principles and can be calming for the mind.