What Old Technology Has Been Replaced by Modern Innovations?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Technology Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
247 replies · 51K views
Redbelly98 said:
I remember:

Seeing "Pong" in airports, then a few years later Space Invaders was all the rage.

I not only remember the original text-based Colossal Cave computer game, I probably took about a year longer in grad school than I should have, because of it. (Me: "KILL BEAR". Game: "WITH WHAT? YOUR BARE (BEAR) HANDS?" Me: ...nah, I'm not going to spoil it...)

And black-and-white televisions ... I was ecstatic when my parents relented and finally made the switch to color, but we were the last ones in our neighborhood to do it.

My parents got a color TV in time for me to watch the original Star Trek in color while I was in high school, but when I was in grad school, my roommate and I had only a small portable B&W set. I didn't get my own color set until my wife and I got one for the living room with the help of some money given by one of her aunts as a wedding present.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
My parents got a color TV in time for me to watch the original Star Trek in color while I was in high school.
Remember seeing rows of color TVs in the store, each one showing the same show in a different color?
 
The analog color TV standard in the U.S. is/was NTSC = "Never Twice the Same Color". :biggrin:
 
Remember those 300MB disk-packs? You know; the multiplatter ones that were about a third of a meter in diameter that you top load in those huge drive control cabinets. Now you get 8GB in a stick.
 
jtbell said:
The analog color TV standard in the U.S. is/was NTSC = "Never Twice the Same Color". :biggrin:

That's interesting...not something I noticed on the regular TV. I do however notice that all digital TV's look like crap in comparison to the now passed analog ones :/
 
I'm not old enough to remember much, but I do remember 5 inch floppies and BBS
 
Looking at family photos via slide projector. I just got many hundreds of family slides from my parents that I am going to have digitized.
 
Math Is Hard said:
I remember using "mucilage" adhesive.

79.jpg

Ooh, I remember that stuff! It had a weird smell to it. I remember the rubber applicator was always dried out/crunchy, but it didn't stick very well to anything.