What physically causes the energy to make subatomic particles move?

In summary, it is not energy itself that causes subatomic particles to move, but rather the constant collisions and interactions between particles. The term "energy" is simply a useful quantity in equations of motion. The ultimate cause of motion is still a topic of scientific debate and theories such as the Big Bang or God are often mentioned. However, on a more practical level, scientists are able to make subatomic particles move by applying electric fields to them. This is just one way of causing motion in particles.
AZcristian623
Why do subatomic particles move(when not in absolute zero)? I know that it is energy in the form of heat, but what physically causes this "heat energy" to be able to move the particles?

Likes GMassimilliano
Physics news on Phys.org
Energy is a description of motion, not a cause of it. If a baseball or an atom is in motion, it has a kinetic energy that can be calculated given its mass and velocity (it's defined as 1/2 * mass * velocity^2). But one wouldn't say that the baseball's or the atom's kinetic energy "cause" them to move. The thing that causes a baseball to be in motion is getting hit by a bat; the thing that causes atoms to move is that they are constantly getting hit by other moving atoms.

"Heat energy" is basically just another name for the *kinetic* energy of the atoms and molecules that make up matter jiggling around.

But what causes the motion?

We don't yet have a complete understanding of what causes motion, although lots of existing theories are extremely good at approximating motion of particles to a very good accuracy. Most theories require a "singularity" at the beginning of time, or more commonly, "The Big Bang".
If you trace all the equations of motion back to the big bang, then... well there are different theories of what caused the big bang. One of the most common views is God. There is the multiverse theory. There are also lots of other theories. If you now want to ask what caused the very first thing - without cause - then maybe you are talking about God or whatnot - but that is more of a philosophical discussion than a scientific one.

But anyway, energy isn't an an actual little piece of electric bolt that makes things "fired up"* or some handwavy bull, the term "energy" itself is just a useful quantity from equations of motion.
*Although this is sometimes a good way of visualizing what energy is, solely for intuitive purposes imo

AZcristian623 said:
Why do subatomic particles move(when not in absolute zero)? I know that it is energy in the form of heat, but what physically causes this "heat energy" to be able to move the particles?

This is a bit strange and rather vague.

Would you consider "electron" as a "subatomic particle"? If you do, then *I* often make it move!

How? Because I shoot electrons and accelerate them in a particle accelerator. And I can tell you that I'm not the only one who does that. I make them move by applying an electric field to it.

Could that be one answer to your question?

Zz.

1. What is the source of energy that causes subatomic particles to move?

The energy that causes subatomic particles to move is derived from the interactions between different types of particles, such as protons and electrons, within an atom. These interactions can be in the form of electromagnetic forces, strong nuclear forces, or weak nuclear forces.

2. How do subatomic particles gain energy?

Subatomic particles can gain energy through various processes such as collisions with other particles, absorption of photons, or through radioactive decay. In some cases, particles can also gain energy from external sources, such as an electric field.

3. Can subatomic particles lose energy?

Yes, subatomic particles can lose energy through processes such as emission of photons, collisions with other particles, or through radioactive decay. In some cases, particles can also lose energy to external factors, such as being in a region with a lower energy state.

4. How does energy affect the movement of subatomic particles?

The amount of energy that a subatomic particle possesses can determine its speed, direction, and even its existence. Energy can also influence the interactions between particles, which can ultimately affect their movement. For example, a higher energy state can result in particles moving faster and interacting more frequently.

5. Can energy be converted into subatomic particles?

Yes, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², energy and matter are interchangeable. This means that energy can be converted into subatomic particles, and vice versa. This process is often seen in high-energy particle collisions, where energy is converted into new particles.