What prevent reaction changing leptons to hadrons?

• Thread starter ndung200790
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary: You may say that electromagnetism is a remanent of a bigger thing, and this thing is still there. So B+L is not a gauge symmetry, but the remanent of a bigger thing.And that is all for now. In summary, the conservation of baryon and lepton number in the Standard Model is based on experimental evidence rather than theoretical theory. While some unified theories may allow for B and/or L violation, the SM still preserves B and L as global transformations. The Left-Right model also shows that electromagnetism is a remnant of a bigger thing, with B+L being a remnant of a bigger gauge symmetry.
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
What prevent the reaction changing leptons to hadrons and vice versa?.Because both leptons and hadrons are ruled by electro-weak interaction,so why the reaction can not happen?
Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try and write down a reaction that does this.

[tex]\pi^\pm\rightarrow\mu^\pm\nu_\mu[/tex]

Where did you read that it wasn't possible?

The Wikipedia page on "Proton decay". It's never been observed, and current experimental limits give a lifetime greater than 1033 years.

So,considering electro-weak interaction,the lepton and baryon number conservation is violated?

And I do not understand why proton can not decay under electro-weak interaction?

I hear that the Standard Model can deduce the lepton and baryon number conservation laws.Is that correct?

Sorry,now I realize in pion decay process both lepton and baryon number are conservable.

Bill_K said:
The Wikipedia page on "Proton decay". It's never been observed, and current experimental limits give a lifetime greater than 1033 years.
Then the question should have read "baryon", not "hadron".

ndung200790 said:
So,considering electro-weak interaction,the lepton and baryon number conservation is violated?
Mesons have zero hadron number (quark-anti quark pair). The lepton number on the left hand side of the reaction above is also zero (lepton-antilepton).

ndung200790 said:
And I do not understand why proton can not decay under electro-weak interaction?
It can, but within the standard model it is a non-perturbative anomaly with exponentially suppressed probability, at least at the current temperature of the universe. Did you read the wikipage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_decay
?

Please teach me(sketch) how to demontration the lepton and baryon number conservation laws with Standard Model?

Guys, instead of addressing the original poster, what about addressing the original post? I mean, the question is interesting by itself, to write down where Barion and Lepton numbers do appear in the standard model, and how the ungauged quantity upgrades to a gauged one in SU(5), in SO(10) and, differently perhaps, in Pati-Salam.

So,at Standard Model level of knownledge,the lepton and baryon number conservation laws are based on experiment but not theoretical theory?

ndung200790 said:
So,at Standard Model level of knownledge,the lepton and baryon number conservation laws are based on experiment but not theoretical theory?

Well, the SM preserves B and L obviously, in fact Weinberg discuss L explicitly in his fundational paper. When you go up to unified theories you find couplings violation B and L, but amazingly B+L (or B-L) is still preserved. So B violation (aka proton decay) become a warhorse against GUT theories: experiment does not allow for a gauge boson corresponding to B, L related charges.

More intriguingly, Salam and others proved that the putative SU(3)xSU(2)xU(1) symmetry of some 7 differential manifolds do not allow for charges as the standard model, but then Bailin and others hinted that using still an extra dimension solved the problem. And you get GUT groups then. But you are not supposed to have more than 7 extra dimensions, so this addition should not produce a gauge boson.

In any case, if you play some days (or weeks) with the hypercharges of the standard model, eventually you will find that a right isospin plus a B+L number do a better, more aesthetic, play that the SM hypercharge. Try.

ndung200790 said:

As far as I know, yes - conservation of baryon and lepton number is primarily an experimental fact. (Although I would say that basically B and L are introduced just because they are a conserved quantity.)

More precisely, B and/or L conservation is not a gauged symmetry of the Standard Model, and therefore not as profound as for example conservation of electric charge. Therefore future unified theories could allow for B/L violation, as mentioned in previous posts.

Thank very much all of you.Now I think that by combination color and flavor we can deduce the lepton and baryon number conservation laws, because the weak gauge bosons(that are (1,3) and (1,1)) can not change quark(that are (3,2) and (3,1)) into lepton(that are (1,2) and (1,1)).But in SU(5) theory,the conservation laws are violated,because in this theory there are superheavy gauge bosons(that are (3,2) and (bar3,2)) that permit quark change to lepton.For example (u,d)--->e+(X,Y)(that is (3,2)--->(1,1)x(3,2)).Is that correct?

I mean in Standard Model,by combination of color and flavor we can deduce the lepton and baryon number conservation laws.

ndung200790 said:
I mean in Standard Model,by combination of color and flavor we can deduce the lepton and baryon number conservation laws.

Yep, you can say that no transition in the SM violates lepton nor baryion number. In this sense the SM preserves B, L, but only as global transformations. You mas consider that old practicioners of gauge theory had a kind of lemma "if you find a global symmetry, you must look also for the loal version", and then for them it was very natural to look for locally gauged B+L.

Definitely there is something. Consider the Left-Right model, then you can forget hypercharges and buld the electric charge as a combination of barion number, lepton number, left isospin and right isospin.

What prevents reactions from changing leptons to hadrons?

The strong force, which is responsible for holding quarks together to form hadrons, acts differently on leptons than it does on quarks. This prevents reactions from changing leptons into hadrons.

Why do leptons not undergo reactions to become hadrons?

The difference in charge between leptons and quarks also plays a role in preventing reactions from changing leptons to hadrons. Leptons have a charge of either +1 or -1, while quarks have charges of +2/3 or -1/3. This difference in charge does not allow for the strong force to act on leptons in the same way as it does on quarks, making it impossible for leptons to undergo reactions to become hadrons.

Can leptons and hadrons undergo reactions with each other?

Yes, they can. While the strong force does not act on leptons in the same way as it does on quarks, other fundamental forces such as the electromagnetic and weak forces can still cause interactions between leptons and hadrons.

What role does the weak force play in preventing reactions between leptons and hadrons?

The weak force is responsible for mediating the radioactive decay of particles, and it also plays a role in preventing reactions between leptons and hadrons. The weak force only allows for certain types of interactions between particles, and does not allow for reactions to change leptons into hadrons.

Are there any exceptions to the rule that reactions cannot change leptons to hadrons?

Yes, there are rare processes such as lepton flavor violation and lepton number violation that can lead to reactions changing leptons into hadrons. These processes are extremely rare and are only observed in high-energy experiments, such as those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider.