What problems will Millennials leave to their children?

• Thread starter jduster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Children
In summary, the Silent Generation left behind racism, bigotry, and suburban values. The Baby Boomers left behind greed, debt, a housing crisis, and an education bubble for us. We may leave our kids the same problems, but with increased entropy. Global warming was only added to the list perhaps 20 years ago, but first garnered attention about 50 years ago. We recently, at least temporarily removed one item from the list that has been there since the baby boomers were infants: oil depletion.
jduster
Each generation left behind their own mess.

The Silent Generation left behind a legacy of racism, bigotry and unflinching suburban values.
The Baby Boomers left behind lots of greed, debt, a housing crisis and education bubble for us.

What will we leave to our kids, any guesses?

Potential issues: global warming, fuel/oil shortages, social security insolvency, and we're probably going to be Nazis to our kids on cell phones and video games after we see what they've done to our brains.

Physics news on Phys.org

Probably the same problems inherited from the baby boomer generation - yet unresolved.

Likes russ_watters, billy_joule and jduster
Astronuc said:

Probably the same problems inherited from the baby boomer generation - yet unresolved.

I think we do generate new ones, we are not yet aware of them.

Likes OmCheeto
Increased entropy.

Borek said:
I have a friend living in Alaska, and she shared the following article two days ago:

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/anchorage-school-suspends-1stgraders-for-plotting-to-poison-classmate/38751326

Given that I didn't start plotting the demise of my fellow schoolmates until I was in high school, I found this a bit incomprehensible.

jduster said:
What will we leave to our kids, any guesses?

As I mentioned the other day, in another thread, I was fired from my position about 4 years ago, and got to sit with my new "millennial" boss for a year.
Somewhere in those 365 days, he mentioned that he really like the TV show "Dexter".
I had never seen the show, so I googled it.
It stuck me as a strange premise.

I would suggest, that millennials not glorify murder, as a solution. As your children will pick up on that, and plot to kill people, for stealing their crayons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
While that is generally true, the really big problems Astronuc alluded to and the OP listed tend to be trans-generational and a problem is added or subtracted from that list only once every few decades.

Global warming was only added to the list perhaps 20 years ago (it would probably be the youngest item), but first garnered attention about 50 years ago.

If anything, we recently, at least temporarily removed one item from the list that has been there since the baby boomers were infants: oil depletion.

What are the potential environmental problems that Millennials will leave to their children?

Some potential environmental problems that Millennials may leave to their children include climate change, air and water pollution, deforestation, and depletion of natural resources.

How will the current economic and social issues impact the future for Millennials' children?

The current economic and social issues, such as income inequality and political instability, may have a significant impact on the future for Millennials' children. They may inherit a world with fewer opportunities and resources, and potentially face challenges in finding stable and fulfilling employment.

What role does technology play in the problems that Millennials will leave to their children?

Technology has both positive and negative impacts on the problems that Millennials will leave to their children. While it has greatly improved our lives in many ways, it has also contributed to issues such as electronic waste and overconsumption, as well as potential negative effects on mental health and social connections.

How can Millennials help mitigate the problems they will leave to their children?

Millennials can help mitigate the problems they will leave to their children by taking action now. This can include advocating for environmental and social policies, making sustainable lifestyle choices, and promoting responsible technology use. It is also important for Millennials to educate their children about these issues and to encourage them to be part of the solution.

What can be done to ensure a better future for Millennials' children?

To ensure a better future for Millennials' children, it is crucial for individuals, governments, and businesses to work together to address these problems. This may include investing in renewable energy, promoting sustainable practices, and creating more equitable economic and social systems. It is also important for Millennials to stay informed, engaged, and actively participate in shaping a better future for their children.