What problems would 'black holes' not being formed solve?

In summary: I find it more intuitive to imagine an object conserving its angular momentum if it remains an actual object. Plus, as I mentioned, the generation of the magnetic field.I don't agree that angular momentum is conserved. I think it's lost entirely. The magnetic field might be generated, but it's not clear how that would be possible.I don't agree that angular momentum is conserved. I think it's lost entirely. The magnetic field might be generated, but it's not clear how that would be possible.In summary, if an object remains in ordinary space during a gravitational collapse, it will not form an event horizon. However, if some unknown force prevents the object from collapsing to a Schwarzschild radius, then problems
russ_watters said:
I'm asking what relevant difference there is that makes one description useful and the other not.

The difference is no singularity in one description and a singularity in the other.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dale said:
That is infinite. Infinite means that if you pick any finite number, it gets bigger.

That just means that the limit is infinite but not the numbers and we are talking about the numbers.

DrStupid said:
That just means that the limit is infinite but not the numbers and we are talking about the numbers.
There is no infinite number. Infinite is inherently a limit.

Dale said:
There is no infinite number. Infinite is inherently a limit.

If you know that, why do you claim, that an "ever increasing finite time dilation" "is ifinite"? It always remains finite and defined. And no matter how big the number is, almost all positive numbers are bigger.

zonde said:
It is not obvious that by analogy adopting proper time of particle at the center of collapsing body would be a good strategy in case of OS solution.
I agree, so I would not pick that point. I would stay away from the center because that is where the singularity is and we expect our models to break down there. So pick another point where we expect the model to work, and all I said above applies.

We also do not pick the center of the Schwarzschild solution, so I was not even considering picking the center of the OS solution.

zonde said:
But in that chart infinite time dilation for collapsing body would be reached at infinite future of this coordinate chart or in plain English - never.
Yes, this is understood. Hence the OP’s “absurdum” and then the rebuttal follows validly pointing out that the observer’s coordinate chart doesn’t change the local physics at all.

zonde said:
So the point is that analogy between Schwarzschild and OS regarding infinite time dilation is far from obvious.
That is only because you are choosing a bad point to examine. Outside the singularity at the center the analogy is good. I was considering a point away from the singularity.

I think that is the source of our disagreement.

Last edited:
DrStupid said:
If you know that, why do you claim, that an "ever increasing finite time dilation" "is ifinite"? It always remains finite and defined.
That isn’t my wording, it is the OP’s. The OP’s wording is poor, but he is clearly (sloppily) referring to the infinite time dilation in the limit as you approach the event horizon. If you want to make an issue of his wording then take it up with him, not me. I won’t defend his wording, but I also don’t think it is worth correcting.

zonde said:
I would like to add that from my previous post it seems that conclusion about physical situation might depend on the size of adopted coordinate chart.
The physical situation does not depend on the coordinate chart at all. That is the whole point of writing physics in terms of tensors.

zonde said:
However philosophers have not reached consensus how the paradox should be solved.
This isn’t a philosophy forum. However, this statement does shed light on why you have been posting as you have. Zeno’s Paradox is considered resolved in the scientific literature, don’t waste our time here please.

Last edited:
Dale said:
That isn’t my wording, it is the OP’s.

"That is infinite." actually is your wording (see #67).

and with "This" you refer to

"OP does not say or suggest that he considers infinite time dilation as absurd. He said that ever increasing finite time dilation"

which is the wording of zonde and not the OP (again see #67).

Dale said:
The OP’s wording is poor, but he is clearly (sloppily) referring to the infinite time dilation in the limit as you approach the event horizon.

No he doesn't. He clearly assumes that this singularity will never be reached. That is equivalent to an always finite time dilation. If you do not see that, than you are actually missing the basic point of his idea.

DrStupid said:
which is the wording of zonde and not the OP (again see #67).
Oops, Yes you are right. The OP actually said infinite time dilation in post 27, so in context @zonde was discussing infinite time dilation which I understood. So if you want to take issue with the wording then do so with him, not me or the OP.

DrStupid said:
No he doesn't. He clearly assumes that this singularity will never be reached. That is equivalent to an always finite time dilation. If you do not see that, than you are actually missing the basic point of his idea.
Read his post 27. He is clearly objecting to the infinite time dilation. He considers infinite time dilation to be absurd so he is making an argumentum ad absurdum argument against the formation of the horizon. I am not missing his point at all, I understand both his point and also the argument he is using to support his point. I am defending the correct rebuttal of his argument.

zonde said:
So the obvious choice for distant observer is to keep his own time for coordinate chart.

How about setting the observer in the center and check if he will see the singularity formig before the black hole evaporates or not?

Does anyone know the metric for the interior portion of the OS spacetime? Also, the coordinates of the event horizon in the interior portion?

Dale said:
Read his post 27. He is clearly objecting to the infinite time dilation.

No, he doesn't. In #27 he says that he "don't see how time dilation could ever reach infinity at any point" and that the "the process would slow down, and prevent infinite time dilation occurring and hence a singularity" (highlighting by me). Please stop turning his argumentation into the opposite.

DrStupid said:
"don't see how time dilation could ever reach infinity at any point"
Yes. Argumentum ad absurdum.

DrStupid said:
Please stop turning his argumentation into the opposite.
I am not. That is how argumentum ad absurdum works.

Oh, sorry. I should have check before, what "objecting" actually means. Just forget my last post.

Dale said:
I agree, so I would not pick that point. I would stay away from the center because that is where the singularity is and we expect our models to break down there. So pick another point where we expect the model to work, and all I said above applies.

We also do not pick the center of the Schwarzschild solution, so I was not even considering picking the center of the OS solution.

But singularity is not there from the start. Say look at this picture (taken from https://arxiv.org/abs/1201.3660):
bh.png

At first there is event horizon and only later singularity appears. In any case there is no singularity at the center of ordinary gravitating body. And it makes sense to pick the center as matter at rest at the center is not falling anywhere.

Attachments

• bh.png
    bh.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 793
Dale said:
The physical situation does not depend on the coordinate chart at all. That is the whole point of writing physics in terms of tensors.
Do you mean that predictions of our models do not depend on chosen coordinate chart? Because obviously physical situation (reality) does not depend even from our models of physical situation, whether they are more or less correct or rather totally flawed.

But then maybe we are splitting hairs. If predictions are totally the same whether we describe collapsed stars as black holes or frozen stars, who cares what actually they are.

zonde said:
Do you mean that predictions of our models do not depend on chosen coordinate chart?
Yes, that is a better way to say it.
zonde said:
If predictions are totally the same whether we describe collapsed stars as black holes or frozen stars, who cares what actually they are.
I don’t think the predictions of black holes or frozen stars are the same. I think a black hole described with one set of coordinates is the same as a black hole described with another set of coordinates.

This is addressing your comment that our conclusions about the physical situation depend on the size of the coordinate chart. I think that is wrong, and you don’t change a black hole into a frozen star simply by changing the size of the coordinate chart.

zonde said:
But singularity is not there from the start. Say look at this picture (taken from https://arxiv.org/abs/1201.3660):
View attachment 229237
At first there is event horizon and only later singularity appears. In any case there is no singularity at the center of ordinary gravitating body. And it makes sense to pick the center as matter at rest at the center is not falling anywhere.
Ok, so this is a good picture to use. The event horizon has two sections. One section is the cylinder with straight edges going up off the top of the page, and the other section is a kind of round cap on the end of the cylinder.

The OPs objection was to infinite time dilation. I know that infinite time dilation occurs for the cylinder portion of the EH, but I don’t know if it occurs for the round cap section. So my comments above were discussing that section since it is the only section where I am sure that the OP’s argument arises.

Dale said:
We already discussed that above, it has already been resolved for some time now. As far as I know there is no current problem which would be resolved.

Thanks, but I don't see the paradox mentioned in this thread prior to my post. Could you point our where?
Also, I see several proposed resolutions to the black hole information paradox, but nothing saying it's definitely been resolved. Which solution do you mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole_information_paradox

Zedertie Dessen said:
Could you point our where?
Posts 1, 33, 35, 37.

Dale said:
Posts 1, 33, 35, 37.

Ah, thanks - the paradox is referred to as '"the information loss problem" in the original post and, as you mention, discussed in posts 33, 35, and 37.

Regarding the resolution of the paradox, though, from what I'm reading, it has not been resolved. For example:

"To resolve the paradox, one of the three postulates must be sacrificed, and nobody can agree on which one should get the axe. The simplest solution is to have the equivalence principle break down at the event horizon, thereby giving rise to a firewall. But several other possible solutions have been proposed in the ensuing years. ...
Physicists have yet to reach a consensus on anyone of these proposed solutions. It’s a tribute to Hawking’s unique genius that they continue to argue about the black hole information paradox so many decades after his work first suggested it."
https://www.quantamagazine.org/step...le-paradox-keeps-physicists-puzzled-20180314/

The "famously resolved" resolution you describe seems to be the one where Hawking conceded the bet. But it looks like there is still no consensus overall.