Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What programming environment to use?

1. Dec 23, 2012 #1
    I'm planning on learning C over winter break. What is the best programming environment to use for C?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2012 #2

Sum

I recommend Devc++ ide from www.bloodshed.net. Its a free ide and good one for newbies.
    You could also try codeblocks.

4. Dec 23, 2012 #3
    u dont need any enviremont. use notepad on windows or any other text editor

5. Dec 25, 2012 #4
    I'm using Kernighan and Ritchie's "The C Programming Language."

I'm quite lost on how you go about learning this language.

I'm not sure if any of you have used this book, but so far, it doesn't seem the book lets you do any practice coding. One of the exercises states "run the "hell, world" program on your system."
    I probably sound so stupid, but how do I do that?

6. Dec 25, 2012 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I recommend CodeBlocks as well if you're not comfortable programming yet. It is available for Windows and has a debugger and everything you need to just get to the programming aspect of learning C.

7. Dec 25, 2012 #6

Sum

IMO; Kernighan and Ritchie's "The C Programming Language." is best used as a reference text not a beginners guide. It assumes you know how to compile and run your programs. Today, there exist so much stuf on beginning c on internet, google! I've used Deitel's "how to program in c" and its a good book for a gentle introduction.

8. Dec 25, 2012 #7
    Ugh just great already bought kernighan's book.

I found the ebook for Deitel's tho.

You recommend the latter for beginners?

There was also another book called "programming in C" by Kochan that I heard was good.

Idk which to pick.

9. Dec 26, 2012 #8

Sum

I have never used Kochan's. So i cant say much of it. But once you get the basics of c language, you can use any other book. Just start with Deitels and move on.

10. Dec 26, 2012 #9
    If C++ were my first language I would have hard time to learn. My first ,actuall, language was vb.net and C# which were very similar. C++ is amazing otherwise.

You can go here for learning:
    http://thenewboston.org

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook