1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What reasoning error am I making here?

1. Jun 7, 2010 #1
    I apologize for a misclick double post:

Mentor action: double posted thread merged. No harm, no foul.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2010 #2
    Apparently I cannot read. I figure this is the wrong thread. Please move or kill as needed :(

You need to find M where

[tex]\left|\frac{x+2}{x}-5\right| \le M, x \in (1, 4)[/tex]

To do this, I put 4 for the top x, 1 for the bottom x, to give the greatest quotient possible, plus |-5|, which finally gives 11. The correct answer is to combine 5 into the fraction with x's, and that gives a different answer.

What did I overlook by NOT combining them?

You can view the entry on google books preview here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=10... by first writing the given function"&f=false

Gratitude for enlightenment.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  4. Jun 7, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Look at the range of values for (x + 2)/x for x in [1, 4]. This function is defined at all points in this interval, and is decreasing on this interval. The largest value of (x + 2)/x on this interval comes when x = 1.

5. Jun 7, 2010 #4
    This I understand. If you substitute x with 1, you can get | 3 | + | 5 | = 8 as an upper bound.

The solution as linked actually has M = 18. What makes 18 a better upper bound than 8? Or, is the book wrong?

Thank you

6. Jun 7, 2010 #5
    It shouldn't be a better upper bound. I don't know how the book got 18, but it is a M that works, so it's technically correct as well.

7. Jun 7, 2010 #6
    The book got it by merging the -5 into the fraction, giving

[tex]\left| \frac{-4x + 2}{x} \right| [/tex]

Then it maximizes this fraction within the allowed values for x by using 4 for the top x, 1 for the bottom x, and applying absolute value to each term since |-4x + 2| <= |4x| + |2|

This gives you 18. What makes this a good method?

It's really confusing, because by turning 5 into 5x/x, and plugging DIFFERENT values into the top x and bottom x, it greatly magnifies the result, apparently without good reason.

8. Jun 7, 2010 #7
    Magnifying the result is a good enough reason, since you're looking for any upper bound. But your way is another perfectly fine way to find an upper bound.

9. Jun 10, 2010 #8
    Makes sense, thank you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook